www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm going to take a trip to Michigan in a few months and I want to play a bunch of sweet courses. What are the top ones? If you could only play one or two, which ones would you play? Thanks.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In order of my top 5, if I was coming to MI to play as many as I could I would play Flip then zip up to Ludington (30min drive from Shelby) and play all three at Mason count park, then hit Leviathan in Lundington as well. Then hit Hudson Mills on your way out of the state.

1 Flip City, Shelby (hands down the best in the state)

2 Hudson Mills Metro park, Ann Arbor (Dexter) (Original or Monster)

3 Meyer Broadway Park, Three Rivers

4 Mason County Park, Ludington (Beauty, Beast, & Goliath)

5 Stony Creek Metro Park, Shelby Township
I saw that established date on DGCR but it is either wrong or talking about the current layout. My brother used to go play there in the eary/mid 80's. And when I was in the MCCG we used to talk about going there and that was '95

Birdie-man said:
Stoney Creek was established in 1999, Grand Woods opened in 1985, Hudson Mills was 1992.

MIDiscGolfer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought Stony Creek was the oldest in Michigan.
if you coming in though Indiana three rivers mi has a course which hasn't be mentioned
I think Flip City may be the oldest, if not nearly. And it is often #1 rated course online, in the world.
Bachelor party! So this will be the death march for your frisbee career because the little woman will put the KIBBOSH on this evil hobby once you are married. Its like the last meal for a condemned prisoner. Well, you better choose wisely.

If your pall bearers, oops, I meant buddies attending the bachelor party are not hard core disc golfers they will never survive to play the second day. Give them 3 rounds the first day then the next two days they can sit around with ice bags on their arms and shoulders. But, with all due respect, screw them. They still have a future to look forward to. This is all about you.

And unless the whole party are experienced, proficient discers there are some courses that will be too much. If you played the Leviathon or Tobbogan with newbies you will spend hours and hours looking for discs and one round will be all they want for the weekend.

So, for excellent but manageable courses clustered together with good amenities (bars/restaurants/hotels/dancing girls) I would vote for Ann Arbor as your hub. Within a half hour drive are the two Hudson Mills courses, Independence Lake, Kensington and Cass Benton (and 50 others as well). Terry Calhoun lives right there and although I would normally be hesitant to speak for him, in this case I am confident he and Sheila would be happy to put up you and your 25 buddies.

Barry M. said:
Well, I would say a long weekend. I would like to play all day Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Microbrews sound good. When is the Kensington Toboggan course open? Prolly no on tournaments because it will be my bachelor party/disc weekend. Thanks for the input.
Thanks, Mark.

:)

If you're talking beginners, a convenient place (except for an official ban on alcohol in Ann Arbor city parks) might be Bandemer Park. It's got good parking, a nice shelter on the Huron River, is free, has restroom facilities right there, and it's close to downtown and thus access to supplies. (You might be able to reserve the shelter, but that would cost, however it's rarely used.)

As well, there is a very nice, no reservations needed, fire pit near the shelter. Perfect for mini bonfires.

This is not a course on the level of some of the great courses around the area, but it is suitable for and was designed to friendly for beginners. It is 9 holes, has found-disc-friendly schule, and 9 holes, each with three quite different tee areas, including the Red tees, which average less than 200, I think.
Well I had to find out for sure and the 1999 course is a newer layout the original course was built late 70's early 80's. I called stony Creek directly and asked.

MIDiscGolfer said:
I saw that established date on DGCR but it is either wrong or talking about the current layout. My brother used to go play there in the eary/mid 80's. And when I was in the MCCG we used to talk about going there and that was '95

Birdie-man said:
Stoney Creek was established in 1999, Grand Woods opened in 1985, Hudson Mills was 1992.

MIDiscGolfer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought Stony Creek was the oldest in Michigan.
Again, thanks for all the help. Plans are starting to come together now!
I would have to agree with Ludington for a long weekend 3 courses in one location and 2 others short distances away. Leviathan/Flip City!!! beutiful area!

I cannot beleive nobody mentioned Addison Oakes another great Michigan Course on the East Side of the state!
If your going to be heading on I-69 make sure to check out my home course I believe it's exit 144 or so off the interstate. It's called goldenrod course and it challanging but a lot of fun. And also freeland michigan is one of my favorite courses about an hour from there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968