www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have an '08 Champion San Marino Roc I have been throwing for about a year now.  It is the only Roc I have, but I see there are other molds besides the San Marino like the Rancho and Ontario.
I am curious as to what the differences are between these molds when thrown.  Is one particular mold more overstable, stable, understable?
Also, what about the new Star Roc+...has anyone thrown one of these yet and how do they compare to the other three molds?

Views: 3198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rancho is the most overstable, followed by the San Marino mold. The Ontario is the least stable. I only throw dx rancho rocs currently, but have tried others. The plastic seems to really matter as my champ san marino roc (2009 usdgc) was more overstable than a new dx rancho roc. Rancho is the most common mold, most of the dx rocs and all the kc pro rocs are rancho. San marino is really gaining a following though it seems. I don't know anything about the roc+, but I'm curious as well.

If I have other questions about the various molds in various plastics, you've come to the right place. I'm not an expert, but there are others on this forum that are!
The Roc+ is a tweaked version of the Rancho mold. It's a little faster and less stable. Most people are putting it between an Ontario and a San Marino for stability. One thing that does seem to bother some people with the Roc+ and Teebird+ is that the inner rim is slanted slightly outwards ala Latitude 64's Riot and Blitz.
Sounds like a pretty sweet disc.
I never really noticed to much of a difference, but then again. I only have Champ molds. As far as what their stability is, Brandon is spot on. The reason for the differnt names is based on were the Innova factory was at the time of their making. I've noticed weight seems to play a bigger role than were they were made though, but that's just my opinion.
I have a Star San Marino Roc 175g. Being among the heaviest, you can throw it hard and don't have to worry about it sailing past the basket. I havent tried any other molds such as the Rancho, Ontario but previous posts seem to know what they are talking about...If anybody is thinking about purchasing the San Marino, you must decide wisely on the weight...the lighter the disc the more versitile it will be.
ive had a champion roc+ and it was really flippy...didnt care for it much its the reason i got my 1st run Katana...:)
The DX Rancho Roc is my favorite. It has a flat top & beats in to a nice long, straight driver. I love throwing long, downhill shots with this disc because it will just glide straight forever & wont fade hard at the end like a normal driver.
I havent had as much success with the 'domier' Ontario & San Marino's.
I have two in Star plastic. The San Marino has less dome and is more over stable than the Ontario
fellow Roc lovers.... UNITE!!!

i also have toyed with the various molds for the Roc, but my current fave has to be the glow roc....
i honestly don't know which mold it is, and i didn't really get it for its gowing (actually lack thereof) capabilities,
but i swear, its a totally different type of plastic...
durability of a champ, but feel of a pro or star...
wind does not affect it at all, and it is my go-to driver for, say 200-250 fairway bullet straight shots, or the easy 175ish
accurate hyzer approach-type shot....

just a great disc...
There is only roc and all +'s, sanny's, and (d) ont's should be stomped out on sight.
I talked to Steve Wisecup, who makes the roc+'s, and he says they fly exactly the same as other rocs from the same factory.  It is ONLY a difference in the slope of the rim.  The sloped rim of the roc+ is easier to hold for people with smaller hands.
if your looking for a great Roc i suggest the 11 kcpro great plastic overstable enough to wrench on it without worries.  its the only innova mid range i throw.. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968