www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm in the market for a disc golf basket for some putting practice, and recreational playing in the field behind my house. I'd be willing to spend up to about $200, but would obviously love to spend less.

I have several baskets I am considering:

DB-5 Portable Target - $199
DISCatcher Sport Recreational Target -$179
In Step Portable Target $109
M-14 Portable Target - $139
Mach Lite Portable Target - Full Size -$125

I'm looking for something that is of good quality and has chains that will actually catch...without me having to add additional chains.

So who has experience with any of these baskets....I would really appreciate your recommendations!

All the Best!!

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought the M-14 and love it. You may think otherwise though, it does not catch as well as Chainstars/Discatchers. When I'm practicing I try not to get hung up on whether the disc sticks or not...as long as I hit chains I'm happy. I got mine from Prime Discs for $99 w/ free shipping.
i've putted on most of these baskets and own a mach new 2 and a mach lite for portable use. i honestly would say that if i was in a tourney and had to chose which one of these baskets we had to use i'd vote for the mach lite. The chains catch very well, it is easily portable and very light, and has a large target (unlike the in step). i also like how the bottom is a tri-pod (as opposed to a circle) which allows the basket to dig into the ground.

my only issue with it is that some of the material on top started to part, but has held tough. i know there is a newer model out there now which i'm sure is full of reinforcements.
happy hunting!
my friend has a DB-5 or M-14, I cant tell just from the pictures, they look the same. and it works great in the backyard for putting, but we also have 3 of the Innova skill shots portables that we use on his land and love them for ease of travel and durability, they look similiar to the mach lite.

I would say stick with a DB-5,M-14, or DISCatcher unless your going to be moving it around/travelling with it, then I would pick the Mach lite or Innova portable ones.
maybe getcha a christmas deal on whatever you decide too :)
That basket looks awesome but I am worried about the duramility of the cloth. It sounds like this is not an issue though.

Dr. Zaius said:
i've putted on most of these baskets and own a mach new 2 and a mach lite for portable use. i honestly would say that if i was in a tourney and had to chose which one of these baskets we had to use i'd vote for the mach lite. The chains catch very well, it is easily portable and very light, and has a large target (unlike the in step). i also like how the bottom is a tri-pod (as opposed to a circle) which allows the basket to dig into the ground.

my only issue with it is that some of the material on top started to part, but has held tough. i know there is a newer model out there now which i'm sure is full of reinforcements.
happy hunting!
I use my Mach lite all year round i live in Australia and i can tell you that these things are holding up well in our conditions i have one out side all year round and it is still in great shape there is no rust and the cloth on it is holding up well.

JJ Coutts said:
That basket looks awesome but I am worried about the duramility of the cloth. It sounds like this is not an issue though.

Dr. Zaius said:

happy hunting!
DB-5 for sure most solid basket that breaks down. My opinion, I have 3 of them Like it better than M-14
I own a blue DGA mach lite portable basket and I love it! It's a bit heavy to lug around a temp course, but that also means that it's stable in windy conditions. It's chains catch well and it is easy to setup and even easier to take down. Mine came with a two design flaws (I don't know if they've fixed it) which I think should be mentioned;

1. The bottom holes bored for the locking pin are misaligned and thus requires quite a bit of jiggling to fit in.
(this can possibly solved by re-drilling the holes)
2. The plastic stick that holds the wind flag breaks almost every time you hit it, thus leaving you with a stick that gets shorter each time you hit it. (I have thought of buying a wooden dowel and cutting it to size for replacement)
Great comment's by everyone! I appreciate the feedback!

Andros said:
I own a blue DGA mach lite portable basket and I love it! It's a bit heavy to lug around a temp course, but that also means that it's stable in windy conditions. It's chains catch well and it is easy to setup and even easier to take down. Mine came with a two design flaws (I don't know if they've fixed it) which I think should be mentioned;

1. The bottom holes bored for the locking pin are misaligned and thus requires quite a bit of jiggling to fit in.
2. The plastic stick that holds the wind flag breaks almost every time you hit it, thus leaving you with a stick that gets shorter each time you hit it. (I have thought of buying a wooden dowel and cutting it to size for replacement)
Andros said:

i bought the first model of the mach lite and the holes in mine are aligned just fine. must have been a single design flaw. i did however have to reinforce of few of the 'screws' that hold the tripod together. two of them broke off.
discatcher sport worked very well for me until I won some portable Mach IIIs. Catches well, lightweight and very similar to more expensive baskets. Not sure I would keep it outside exposed to elements.......try disc golf center.com.....got mine for $159 with free shipping!!!
We have 5 in steps in the store in the back for the putting arena we have snapped the tops off where the flags hold just by hitting them with putters, they have heavy SINGLE chains that seem to catch well the baskets are not that deep (like the innova sport) but for indoors they are OK I would not leave them out side all year... we have dragged them around to make temp course in our area and they worked fine. For the price they are good nothing like a mach 2 though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968