www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I like to use low turn and fade discs in strong winds but i am wondering if there are better options. Maybe heavier discs or something ultra stable.

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

your most over stable one :P
agreed, I would say boss but I grip and rip a destroyer like no other and use my newest heaviest ones for hard head winds
I had this awesome first run star destroyer if you can get your hands on one get the 175 its a great disc... sucks i lost it in the water...
I have used the DX dextroyer and it doesnt seem to do the trick, i feel like the champ boss or even champ monster would do it a little better
Teerex. I throw a 169g and it handles the wind very well and it gives me good "D"
STRONG head wind? go with something made for it, like an excal. Ultra stable. The boss works great, but still might flip on you. I like to throw those flip up hyzers with my boss in those conditions. I don't throw the Destroyer in STRONG head wind, but I would if I could.
Teerex X
You often can throw the driver you would have, just put more hyzer on it. In very strong winds though you probably will need something more overstable. I use a firebird or a teerex-x, but the latter will still flip some for me so I have to be careful. I'm thinking about reintroducing an xcal into the bag for these shots, it really cuts through the wind well. I like to throw a hyzer line into a headwind whenever I can as I don't like to chance the disc flipping over completely on me. An experienced wind player (one who PRACTICES in different winds) can probably afford to throw s-curves into the wind and trust their plastic, but I just don't have time to practice much these days so I throw it hyzer.
The Max is perfect for the strong headwind.
Firebird!
I was told not to try to throw my discs so hard in a head-wind; that's what makes them flip over. I throw an Orc and Destroyer primarily, but if I do it right, I can even get my Beast to fly straight. Practicing in the wind will help you learn to use it. Play with the wind, not against it. For more advice, look for an article by Ron Converse (I think it was on the Discraft website at one time). That guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to playing the wind.
From my experience, and I'm not some super strong arm or anything, but I can actually get my Boss to flip over even with a little Hyzer into an even mild headwind if I throw it flat. Even my Boss has to be thrown as if I am throwing a hyzer flip unless the conditions are calm or there is a tailwind. I do on the other hand have a Raging Inferno DT that will not flip over if I throw it anyhyzer into a hurricane.

My solution that works for me is to throw the disc I throw most often on that hole, and Hyzer flip it. Worst case scenario is I mess up a little and put too much or too little Hyzer onto it and I have a little longer approach, but I'm comfortable enough with the disc that it isn't going to be OB or an excessive amount off from where I had intended to go.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968