www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Recently I had over heard a colleague of mine talking about disc golf and all he had to say was "disc golf I thought that only hippies and homeless people played that sport", needless to say I was POed. I know that there may be some people that fit into this cross section of society and if you are one of them I'm not judging you and I mean you no disrespect, but I do not and I have heard these remarks said for far to long. I know that there are other people out there that own business and work in successful jobs that also take offense to this type of stereotype please help me show my coworker that their are successful people affiliated with this sport!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a television repair technician.
I have a BS in business admin and work as a inventory loss prevention supervisor at best buy and do part time work for a consulting company.
Well I'm a laid off hippie.I was doing Land Surveying.
hey now,butcher/meat cutter for 39 yrs. Two yrs college.One could still say that I'm a hippie and Damn proud.Don't let the state of stereotype drag you down,hit chains.Peace
Heavy Maintenance Material Travel Rep.for a Major Airlines
I think that anytime you are faced with an issue like this, it is best addressed. Every time that hear someone say something like that I try to educate them and teach them something about the sport they don't know. Terry is right that the diversity of people who play is one of the best things about the sport. And I believe that it is our job as ambassadors of the sport we need to try our best to set the record straight and make people aware that this is not a just a sport for "hippies/potheads" not there is anything wrong with either in my eyes but it is not correct.

Just some comments for a 41 yr old self employed computer/networking consultant/technician.
Every disc I throw and the shirts I wear are tie-dyed. Don't drink or smoke anything. College educated sales rep.
minister
Associate in Plastic Engineering, and currently finishing my BS in Business Marketing. At the moment I have been working on resumes to send out and going on interviews. For me it is always hard to answer my hobbies, what I do when I’m not in class or working in these interviews. I want to say disc golf, or something related to all of the time I have spent helping build and maintain our course. But, I usually just talk about helping the parks with community service, and being part of a Registered Student Organization (RSO) for Disc Sports and how we hold events to compete against other Universities and Colleges. Unfortunately there are many people that have the same view that your colleague has about disc golf. I don't want to be fired before I'm hired due to someone thinking I'm a stoner. This is where the image of the sport needs to change.
I am a retired auto worker of 34 yrs. I am married to the same beatiful wife for 35 yrs. and have five children and 9 grandchildren. I am now an active DGer, birdwatcher, electric guitar enthusiast, and a huge fan of the outdoors. Of our weekly Saturday morning DG competition at Youngs Run DG Course in Warren Ohio, I picked ten random players out of our usual 12 to 18 players that show up weekly, and this is what I came up with--- 2 with engineering degrees-3 factory workers-1 school maintenance-1 pizza delivery-1professional magician/retired school teacher-1 x-ray tech-1 retired marine.As far as being stereotyped this group is 50/50, but the" safety breaks" that occasionally happen during a round are not a big deal to either group and everybody is excepted the way they are. KOOL STUFF! Also this group has an age diversity of 20 to 55 years of age. What a bridge this game is for the generation gaps.LONG LIVE DISC GOLF!!!
My wife and I are both teachers and we are both tournament players.
I am a stay at home dad. Well I stay at home when I'm not playing disc golf. In the summer my kids just join in the fun (even though my youngest just tends to walk around holding the disc until he gets close enough to set it in the basket). Great sport and a good reason to get out and enjoy the weather.

And no I'm not homeless and I'm not a hippie.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968