www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Recently I had over heard a colleague of mine talking about disc golf and all he had to say was "disc golf I thought that only hippies and homeless people played that sport", needless to say I was POed. I know that there may be some people that fit into this cross section of society and if you are one of them I'm not judging you and I mean you no disrespect, but I do not and I have heard these remarks said for far to long. I know that there are other people out there that own business and work in successful jobs that also take offense to this type of stereotype please help me show my coworker that their are successful people affiliated with this sport!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a veteran and concept artist who works on video games. o.k..o.k..artist get the rep of being drug induced people to come up with all these crazy original ideas but I don't drugs. I talk about the positives and like the sport for it's diversity too. You never know the status of the people you meet up with..but I say I'm in law enforcement to spook some people out every now and then.. hahaha.
Well, I'm a homeless hippie....with a laptop and a beer belly. Ha!!
Jim,

RIght on bro! Congatulations on the cover shot! Thank you for the Fuzzy props! May the 09 season produce a 2-ace round for you.

jim said:
Hey I know Fuzzy Duds!! Fun Shorts!!

I am a commercial photographer. Haven't seen it yet but I have been told that a picture I shot of Paul McBeth is on the cover of the new FDM. But I have never been a hippie and have never smoked and do not drink. ( I have asthma so smoking would probably kill me, and I drank enough in college to last me for another 100 years).

Cowboy said:
I am the CEO of "Cowboy's Fuzzy Duds, Inc." I have been an avid player since 1979.
Head of Quality Control for IKA Works, Inc. USA. for 13 years. I supervise 4 inspectors and write programs for a $70K coordinate measuring machine. Bachelor of Science '91
B.S. in Actuarial Mathematics. I'm the guy that engineers like Chuck went to for help with their math homework. :-D
I build firetrucks. I play pool, surf, and couple of other things. I have found out that in each sport, it is diverse like this. They just need to get out to see this.
I’ve met more working class people playing disc golf than anyone else but.... It is hard to get rid of the image of homeless and druggies when our main ambassadors (top level pros) do not know how to conduct themselves by damaging property and smoking weed inside hotels. In order for this sport to grow, we need to watch our image and it needs to start at the pro level.

We have some outstanding people in disc golf at all levels but like anything else, people will remember the bad before any good will surface. To improve the image of this sport we have to start cleaning it up. Courses are being built but we also lose others because of the drugs and the destruction problem that follows disc golf. More people need to take ownership in the sport and start saying something to those in positions to correct the problem/s.

How is this sport going to positively grow when our tournaments leave little behind except a good incense burner and a repair bill?

(Yes! I’m still a little POed about Red Hawk)
MIDiscGolfer said:
B.S. in Actuarial Mathematics. I'm the guy that engineers like Chuck went to for help with their math homework. :-D

Considering I finished my required two years of calculus at college before graduating from HS, the actuarial freshmen hadn't even cracked open their math books yet ;-)
Hippie is a state of mind, not a look.
Chuck Kennedy said:
MIDiscGolfer said:

Considering I finished my required two years of calculus at college before graduating from HS, the actuarial freshmen hadn't even cracked their math books yet ;-)

Meow!!!!
Federal Fire Fighter for 19 years - now I am a Safety Officer with the Federal Government - Studied Marketing/Finance at Western Carolina University - never used it though
Im a Rippie which is a red neck hippie so there. My dads the red neck and my moms a hippie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968