www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Recently I had over heard a colleague of mine talking about disc golf and all he had to say was "disc golf I thought that only hippies and homeless people played that sport", needless to say I was POed. I know that there may be some people that fit into this cross section of society and if you are one of them I'm not judging you and I mean you no disrespect, but I do not and I have heard these remarks said for far to long. I know that there are other people out there that own business and work in successful jobs that also take offense to this type of stereotype please help me show my coworker that their are successful people affiliated with this sport!

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think his impression of disc golfers are that we are bums that don't work, and don't contribute to society.

Jack Moore said:
by hippies did they mean potheads, I don't know to many Homeless people that would take that much time out of bagging for money to play Discgolf
So I guess I don't win anything for non-conformity.....LOL!!!!
Thanks for all the replies, I think its safe to say that we are very diverse but that each and every one of us has something to offer to society. Just for the record a couple of my friends are hippies and I have no problem with them or how they live, and one of my best friends was homeless for a while when he lost his job and lived out of his car for a while so I obviously have no issue with homeless people as well. My whole point is that I didn't think that it was fair to stereotype every one that has ever hucked a disc.
What is your teaching cirricular...social studies/gym?

Jon Andrews said:
I am a high school teacher, and I work part time as a bouncer in a biker/rock and roll bar. That is pretty far from homeless or hippie. I play the sport because it's cheap, fun, and outside.
General Manager of a Manufacturing Plant. An auto supplier that ships millions of plastic parts to the big three and Asian OEM's every month.
Army for 5 years, then buried phone and cable in the ground
now, Animal Control Manager for 12 years!
When I stopped being a hippie pothead many many, many years ago for a better and healthier lifestyle (for myself) and after a time, I thought hippies and pot went by the wayside and did not exist any longer (due to rising prices). Moving ahead many, many, many years...I strarted playing disc golf alittle over one year ago and I found out where all the stoners went to. The disc golf courses. So it was kind of a historical event for me. But in my year and a half...I have met and played with persons from all walks of life. Even fathers pushing there toddlers around in strollers from hole to hole. So disc golf is definitly NOT a niche sport. It is a very active, personable, fun and challengeing game for all to play. And one that can be played year round (here in the North).
K.
Red Line Disc Golf said:
Thanks for all the replies, I think its safe to say that we are very diverse but that each and every one of us has something to offer to society. Just for the record a couple of my friends are hippies and I have no problem with them or how they live, and one of my best friends was homeless for a while when he lost his job and lived out of his car for a while so I obviously have no issue with homeless people as well. My whole point is that I didn't think that it was fair to stereotype every one that has ever hucked a disc.
I've never seen a homeless person play the sport, though I have found a few of their camping spots on various courses.

I would say that 80% or more of the people I play with regularly are either college students or already possess at least a Bachelor's degree.

I have three degrees, and work for a University.
I am an operations manager for a farming company, that manages a thousand acres in northern cali. Veteran of the air force, AA degree in electro mechanical drafting. And lover of the disc golf game.
I work in Community Mental Health, very hands on with people diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse. I've really enjoyed showing people (especially co-workers) that disc golf is a great asset to the community and can be very therapeutic and a great skill building and social activity.

People not familiar with the sport are generally quick to write it off as a hippie game....but a quick ball golf comparison and overview of range of execution, equipment, and low cost has won over a few new fans of the sport.

Oh, and I can't forget about being co-owner of DGstickers.com
I am the Mechanical Systems Supervisor for a local university and have a Master Degree in management.
Had my discraft hat on at the hospital last week, which started a conversation with my wife’s surgeon. He must be 60+ and plays disc golf. Myself I manage a city Water Company. Oh yes I don’t smoke it but trip out just fine without it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968