www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have played in a handful of states and have been to more than a few tourneys.
I have had my fair share of the political side of DG and been pretty astounded by the things I have witnessed and also heard State Coordinators.
The NM state Coordinator spot is open this year and I am considering running for it.
Our sport is gaining a lot of momentum in NM, which has been in a vacuum for a while and as just about everyone will attest to, needs a changing of the guard. Or at least a renewed investment in the future from those in the past and present.
I am not meaning to be the slightest bit derogatory towards our current SC...
I am just tired of waiting and wanting things to change (along with most of the active players in NM) and so I am contributing more and more.
I have a few other folks in mind that I think can do better or at least as decently as I can, but the general consensus from 90% of these folks is they can't stand politics and so forth.
I want somebody to step up and it seems like I may have to.
So....
I understand that there is no pleasing everyone and all of that, but ultimately, What do YOU EXPECT from your State Coordinator? Do you have a great one? Are there any SC's on DGRUS that can chip in their couple cents?
What would you like DG to be and what do you expect from your state's PROFESSIONAL representation?

Tags: Community, Coordinator, Organization, Professional, State, TD, Tourneys

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on what Marcos Castillo wrote the next New Mexico State Coordinator has plenty to do to promote PDGA tournaments in the state. If only 4 sanctioned events happen per year there is vast area for expansion. It may be that just phone calls to the TD's with offered assistance and/or guidance could expand those offerings. Maybe there are open minded TD's who have not been approached and invited to sanction their events.

The PDGA is not just an organization which can benefit individual players or Clubs but the growth of the sport overall. Any player who loves the game can and should support the sport by joining the PDGA, even if they don't play many tournaments and even if they don't agree with every decision made by the PDGA Board of Directors.

The term "politics" has a bad connotation with some people. But the essence of politics is human interaction and human interaction always works better if people are treated fairly, honestly and with respect. So a perfect State Coordinator is someone who has those values and the skills to create cooperation. Politics necessarily comes into play when a State Tournament schedule is created because there are a limited number of weekend dates. It is to everyone's benefit if the State schedule meshes both sanctioned and unsanctioned events in logical progression.

In my State of Michigan we have more tournaments than weekend dates-by a lot. Yet due to the cooperation of TD's and clubs and with the help of very effective State Coordinators we typically resolve our schedule without creating feuds and publish it on a single website where it is easily accessible to all (MDGO.org).

Another valuable contribution from a State Coordinator is to review and correct the PDGA Course Directory for their state listings. I am referring to the DIRECTIONS section for every course. I know from experience, having unfortunately relied on them to my detriment, that many directions are either misleading or inaccurate or wholly inadequate. It seems that many of those directions are written for players who are already familiar with the local community or assume that a visitor must be coming from only one possible direction. These days many people are using GPS devices which need an actual street address to plug in but few street addresses are found in the Course Directory.

Imagine if every State Coordinator spent the effort to have good directions added to the PDGA Course Directory.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968