www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here is a place were you can discuss questions, concerns, frustrations, or complements about this production?

Views: 618

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Boom Boom Dino said:
Not offended .... we see that kind of thing in Canada all the time. It sure seems the FDM has been having their problems. I'm a Canadian Grandmaster and decided $50+ U.S. was too much for me to invest each year to be a member of the PDGA I'm not a pro, never will be one and would rather join a World Amateur Disc Golf Assoc. Suits my sensibilities more. PDGA great for the pros but for a rec player like me doesn't make sense. The only way I can join the PDGA is to pay the fifty and maybe think the FDM would make it worth it. Perhaps better that the PDGA start an umbrella Am DG Assoc. for amateurs at say $20 or 25, build a bimonthly web based magazine and call it a day. Makes way more sense to me. Web vs. paper anyday. Lower AM fees more people join and away we go, everybodie's happy.
If anybody ever figures out a way to pay for a Pro disc golf tour without using the time and money of the Amateur membership, then the split will happen. Until somebody figures that out, it can't happen. Without the money from the membership fees and the players fees from all those AM rounds and the volunteers efforts of the AM membership, the Pro game would take a major step backwards. So, we have what we have. It's not perfect, but its been working OK.
I ride dirt bikes so I'm a magazine guy already. There are dirt bike mags all over the place at my house. So many I can't read them all. So if/when a disc golf magazine comes out, I will get it no matter how many hoops I gotta jump through. It's hard for start up magazines to make it nowadays. The first few years are the toughest. For the money they had (or borrowed) FDM came out looking pretty good (IMO). And DGW was awesome too! I think we all have made some good points here so the magazines should get better over time. I'm like 'Swampy'. I don't want to put too much negative onto the magazine idea. Please keep making them! Whomever that may be in the future. We read them from cover to cover & are wanting more. Advertisers: Thank you for working with these magazines. We do see your products in glossy color & are enticed to buy.
i like it alot but i wanna c more.
Its a shame that fans of a sport that is growing in popularity and awareness has so many haters that cant support a fledgling publication that features the sport you love. Seriously folks, your subscription is less than $20 a year, Im sure we have all eaten and paid for a meal in the past year that cost just as much. Im a new fan of the sport and love the grassroots efforts of those involved to help share it with others. While I have only seen 2 issues of FDM, I was impressed by the high quality content. Im sure nothing like this existed 10 years ago. Publishing a magazine Im sure is not an easy task, Im sure the Editor would make this a monthly if they could. Until you put out your own magazine that is a huge success, I would hope everyone that loves the sound of the chains could embrace all efforts to share it with the masses. Times are tough for everyone...but I for one would be glad to spend one nights beer money to support peoples efforts to put together quality coverage of the sport.
joe dann said:
Its a shame that fans of a sport that is growing in popularity and awareness has so many haters that cant support a fledgling publication that features the sport you love. Seriously folks, your subscription is less than $20 a year, Im sure we have all eaten and paid for a meal in the past year that cost just as much. Im a new fan of the sport and love the grassroots efforts of those involved to help share it with others. While I have only seen 2 issues of FDM, I was impressed by the high quality content. Im sure nothing like this existed 10 years ago. Publishing a magazine Im sure is not an easy task, Im sure the Editor would make this a monthly if they could. Until you put out your own magazine that is a huge success, I would hope everyone that loves the sound of the chains could embrace all efforts to share it with the masses. Times are tough for everyone...but I for one would be glad to spend one nights beer money to support peoples efforts to put together quality coverage of the sport.

PDGA is starting their own publication in 09.I don't mind supporting people's efforts as long as you get the magazine Joe.You don't think people should be upset?20 bucks can be a lot of money to some folks in this economy.
It is 12/29/08 and I have only received 4 issues. Are they still planning on sending two more issues out in this week?
I liked the magazine a lot. great pics. didn't really care for the ultimate and disc dog stuff......but you can't be as far off schedule as they were in '08 without lots of complaints. I hope the new PDGA rag is as good.
Swamptoy said:
Where did you read that the PDGA was going to have its own Mag in 09 ?

Craig with a C said:
It is 12/29/08 and I have only received 4 issues. Are they still planning on sending two more issues out in this week?

announcement was made here http://www.pdga.com/pdga-publication

please realize that FDM did not fulfill the contract to provide 6 magazines and were behind schedule with the first 4 magazines, they were paid to do a job and failed

also content with sexual and drug references is an issue, the PDGA has members that are young, how would it look if a junior disc golf player actually got in trouble at school for the magazines content

I have personally used the former PDGA publication (Disc Golf World) as a tool for sponsorship and new courses, I would never put FDM in the hands of a Parks official or potential sponsor

I'm guessing that the PDGA figured that if they wanted it done right that they would have to do it in house to maintain quality control

as to the idea that disc golfers should just buy the magazine, it already has a bad reputation for not doing what they say they will, I will not pay for something that I may or may not receive
One quick note here. FDM is strong and healthy, we are not going away. In fact, we have taken a big step up and will be available at major national newsstands (yes, that means Borders, etc.) beginning immediately.

Swamptoy said:
I think its to late .Im with you Joe this mag is great I wounder what happened the last one is the best disc sport magazine ever .Its very sad to hear that this mag is not going too make it .It could be that this was too much work for FDM and not much money. Maybe the PDGA should have done something to help or give up some money so this mag would be there for us .I hear main stream all the time (this sport needs to go Mainstream) but if your sport don´t even got a magazine to back it up for the most part it aint a real sport .I have let many people see my mags then they think its a real sport .Websites are cool but they aint no magazine I don´t read books I read magazines .I have not seen just heard that FDM was going under maybe its just a dumb rumour. There are many people that are not happy with PDGA and will not join These people have been playing a long time too am not sure who I should be mad at but if my favorite Magazine is not coming to my house any more then that makes me mad !

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968