www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am still trying to win my forst OPEN PDGA event.  I have come close a few times.  Last weekend I threw the hot round of the tourney (2 rounds, C-tier) in the first round.  I had a 2 stroke lead on 2nd place, and finnished the second round 6 strokes worse than my first round.  I ended up in 3rd place, cashing $165. It was a great day! BUT...

I feel like I could have won! It is all mental at this point. Its been an off year due to the birth of my little girl, but I have put the time in, and now i want the payoff.  I just want to hear a few words of wisdome from the guys out there who have actually become winners. What is going through your head when you have the lead and you are trying to pull off the win?  How did you change your mentality to become a winner?

Thanks

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on my performance, I need to work on my stamina and mental tuffness.  I let a few mistakes echo in my head throughout the second round. I failed to make adjustments when my body started to tell me I was getting tired. I feel like its my attitude.  What is the attitude of a winner?

PUTTING,and for me in a big game or tourney i dont watch others in the group drive or putt.
I am not NEAR your Level yet, BUT, Wish to be there by next year. I had a VERY Nice and Helpful Discraft Pro give me some tips on the Mental Game. #1 tip was read the book "Zen Golf". It teaches you how to approach the game mentally and work through the mental challenges. GREAT read. I have read it twice.

You said "  I just want to hear a few words of wisdome from the guys out there who have actually become winners."

Well for myself , pay attention to your own game and don't worry about the other guy's shots. Give yourself a chance and don't ever give up !!!  Stay Strong !  Know that you can Win !!!

3 things to Always Remember.

Be Cool to the Players !  You never know who will be Cheering for you during the Finals !!!! Get the Crowd to rally behind you. Gives you Extra confidence !!!!

Be Humble !!!! Don't Brag and tear others down.  Show your Appreciation towards others for playing !!!!

Always Thank your Sponsors during Awards !!!

turn off the little voice in your head

That is interesting.  I have a great attitude on the coures, always complementing shots, making small talk from hole to hole, sharing secrets.  Maybe I need to be a little more stone cold.  I need to know when to put away Mr Nice guy, and bring out the killer.  I can see how this could keep help keep focus.
Yeah I have seen that book mentioned on here, I will check it out.  It sounds like what I am looking for. thanks...
Shot management, course management and stick with your game and your plan. Someone may be able to throw that hyzer bomb while you might prefer to take an anhyzer look. Do what works for you. I don't think that you need to get rid of that voice (or voices) in your head. Just keep everything in check and remember that you are always in it. Keep fighting all of the way to the end.
You have to be the best in the universe and everybody elses games are weak and pathetic. Yet being humble on the outside as much as you can helps.
When something bad happens  LET IT GO ! Dwelling on it and the strokes it cost you will just end up costing you even more strokes. Not rushing and being comfortable in your stance and throw you have chosen. Most importantly mentally telling yourself and believing that you are going to go out there and tear shit up !
Or get super pissed and go ape shit on the entire field blowing them all away and winning!!!
Never give up on a hole. A couple of times in the past week I was certain that I was going to bogey a hole. In both cases I ended up with a par. The second time I clipped a small branch and went right in. But I got my par even though in both cases the drives were less than ideal.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968