www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I see the term "flip" frequently on this forum and other disc golf sites. What does it mean when a disc "flips"?

Views: 1337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe they are referring to a "hyzer flip". When an understable disc is thrown at a hyzer release angle, the disc will flip up level and then fade to the right ( how fast depends on the snap you put on the disc ) for a right hand backhand thrower is an example. Does that help?
Mike has it all wrong. it's in reference to when we go eat pancakes and the cook tosses one to the table and it lands in the wrong plate.

the dude at the "wrong plate " eats it real quick, and we refer to that as a "flip".

its rare ,but angry-awesome when it happens.
for RHBH, discs usually fade left. BUT when the discs FLIPS, it fades right. it does it when you put alot of spin on a disc or when understable discs are used. i guess it "FLIPS" the direction it is supposed to turn to.
When I use the term, "flip" means the disc anhyzers.

A disc thrown straight will generally fade (or bend) to one direction at the end of its flight. That natural fade is called a hyzer. So a right handed backhand player (rhbh) throws a hyzer which bends to the left. A lefthanded backhand (lhbh) hyzers to the right.
A rhbh anhyzers right. A lhbh anhyers left. A righthand forehand (rhfh) hyzers right and anhyzers left. A lhfh hyzers left and anhyzers right.

To get a disc to hyzer is usually easy. The disc wants to turn that way if released flat. To get a disc to anhyzer is much harder, and harder still to control how much it flips and when it flips.

So to flip a disc is to anhyzer it. You can flip a disc different ways. If you choose a disc understable for your power level (understable means it has a greater tendency to anhyzer) then it should flip on its own if just thrown flat. A stable disc (straight flying) or overstable disc (overstable means it has a greater tendency to hyzer) needs to be forced over by the angle of release or velocity at which it is thrown or headwind.

Ok, if all this is not confusing enough so far let me add one more factor: the amount of power (speed and spin) that a disc is thrown with. Disc stability is relative to the amount of power the thrower imparts on the drive. So take a 10 year old kid who is just beginning to play the game and throws with little power and compare him to some Pro flame thrower, distance champ. The disc which is overstable for the weak kid may be understable for the Pro.

I throw with somewhere around average power for a Pro. Every driver in my bag is too overstable to be controlled by the weak kid. But the driver which flies straight for me will flip in the hands of the flame throwing Pro.
I like Mark's explanation.
For me personally, "Flip" happens the split second it turn's right. In other words no matter what it is I am throwing, whether it be Overstable or understable, when it starts turning right it "Flipped".
I can intentionally throw an Overstable disc with Anhyzer to make it "flip" and gain me even more distance.
I can throw an understable disc with hyzer and it will also "Flip" and turn right at the end.

OR..........
Like Eric said.........
" it's in reference to when we go eat pancakes and the cook tosses one to the table and it lands in the wrong plate.

the dude at the "wrong plate " eats it real quick, and we refer to that as a "flip".

its rare ,but angry-awesome when it happens." LMAO!!!!!
For a RHBH thrower.

Flips Up - means the discs goes from a hyzer to flat or a level shot and then fades back to the left.

Flips Over - means the disc goes from hyzer to flat then turns over and fades to the right.

Flips Out - means a hyzer flip shot goes awry crossing an OB line. (had one of these during the local ice bowl)

A player with good power can throw a stable disc and have it "flip up" but not necessarily "flip over". And, could also throw an understable disc with "lots O" hyzer and a little nose and still get the disc to fade back to the left.

Hope this helps.
Mark.. That's what I meant to say. hahaha.
holy crap, I always figured "flip" meant the dang thing turned the wrong way. And Mark, wth with all the rbhs and the lhsgdif and the aifgspdfo and the andfkasdf and the lbhds, that stuffs just as confusing. I'm just messing around with you. ttyl my bffs hahahah......or LOL
Aaaahh, but what if it flips and then it "gets new"?
Do you know what it's doing then Ominae_wu?

Maybe one these fine disc golfers will let you know that term as well.
Nascar Dave said:
Aaaahh, but what if it flips and then it "gets new"?
Do you know what it's doing then Ominae_wu?

Maybe one these fine disc golfers will let you know that term as well.

when its doing the dance?
....and when you hear someone yell at there disc to "FLEX" it means they want it to come back out of the "flip" and get stable.
I disagree with Mark a bit, I don't consider a flip & anhyzer the same thing. An anhyzer is when you turn a disc over on purpose by releasing it with angle.Flip occurs when the disc is too understable to handle snap given and it turns or "flips" over. Watch some casuals with their old DX plastic. They can start on a hyzer line then flip and turn over to finish, definately not an anhyzer. Anhyzers should have a distinct arc in thier flight with no S-curve.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968