www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

SO im sitting here watching my 03 pdga tour dvd, and i think to myself. What the hell happened to Jarvis ? The dude was smooth with his follow through, his pull back and his all around game. Never looked like he really got on the disc but it always flew for him.

Where did he go ???

Views: 502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good question. Isn't he on the list for one of the longest distance throws? like 810 feet or something at La Mirada ?. I remember seeing that somewhere.
Ken Jarvis was amazing. I watched him throw during the distance competition prelims at the USDGC one year. I believe he is an alien. No one should be able to throw a disc as far and fast as he does. Or at least did, as I have no idea if he is still active in the game.

If you watch someone like an Avery Jenkins or a Craig Leyva throw a disc, it makes sense that they throw it a mile. They are big strong men with good form and huge power. Jarvis looked like he was 5' 7" and 140 lbs.

I wandered down the Prelims for the distance competition to watch the spectacle and the competitors were warming up, blasting drives in a field. I saw Todd Branch (Winnie Crew, etc) and asked him who he thought might win the event. Todd had toured for years and knew all top players. Todd told me the only race was for second place because Ken Jarvis was going to win it. I had heard of Jarvis (and his brother) but did not know who he was. So I sat down and watched. All these big arm guys were taking big run ups and doing 360 degree spins to launch their discs. Eventually Ken Jarvis stepped up and threw. He took a couple easy steps and threw smooth and seemingly effortless. He didn't use a big reach back or a big follow through. It didn't look like he was trying very hard. His shots blasted well past everyone else's. It was sureal. His arm speed was amazing. How he accomplished it is a mystery to me. When the fast twitch muscles were handed out he must have been at the front of the line.

I don't know if he won the competition that year but it looked he should have done so handily.
Yes, Ken and Marc are disc bombing mutant aliens. When i lived in San Diego in 1996 I remember their mom dropping them off at Morley Field when the boys were 14 or 15 years old. Ken was bombing Cyclones 550' backhand while Marc could do the same distance forehand. It was fun to watch. Last i heard (2-3 years ago) Ken was working overseas (Ireland maybe.) It would be nice to find out how both of the Jarvis twins are doing from someone who knows.
I think it was/is New Zealand.
He has been living in New Zealand for several years where there is not much disc golf. I saw him at '02 USDGC and yes he is a mutant. There were some short You Tube videos of him throwing back hand and forehand that really showed his ability
Ah, the memory is beginning to fail me. At least i remembered it was a ~land. Someone with his email addy should give him and Marc the link to this site. It'd be nice to catch up with the twins.
yes someone please contact them, the 03 pdga tour was my first video i ever watched (disc golf related) i was just amazed at Ken. Still am, the guy is straight up smooth. Would love to see him throw and get his autograph.
They are both doing great !!!! Seen the both of them a few weeks ago. Ken is traveling and Marc is working for BMW.
Wow! Where do I start? Firstly...thanks for all the props and genus reassignments :-) I got called mutant heaps in SD but I think alien is a new one.

If you are still wondering my Irish wife and I are in New Zealand tucked away in the mountains in a place called Queenstown. Have been here for over 5 years (!) now and loving every minute of it. Although I am completely washed up, there is a nice 2,000ft course here in Qtown with 13 baskets and 5 tree targets. It's a tiny course but great considering my short game was my achilles.

Mark E: It's pretty damn cool being complimented by someone of your DG stature, quite an honor actually. Thanks!

Beatz: Do you know what tournament I'm in on the 2003 dvd? That was the last year I played before travelling and I can't put my finger on what you are watching...thanks for the comps!
Ken,
Glad to see you here on DGRUS and now know that you still throw some plastic every now and then. Take it easy.
MY NAME IS PAUL IM KENS COUSIN WISH I COULD PLAY A ROUND WITH HIM ONLY SEEN STUFF ON YOUTUBE......
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=30985&page=4

It looks like Marc Jarvis is still throwing long! He recently went to the High Desert Distance Challenge and threw over 230 Meters.

Someones still got it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968