www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A player carrying only one disc throws from the tee and lands O.B.  What happens next?

Tags: Rules

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a tournament he would be S.O.L. In casual play, you let the player go and retrieve the disc and throw again making the second tee shot their third stroked throw. Rules wise, you have to leave an OB disc where it lies until after the current round.
Any certified officials out there know exactly how to rule on this?
I'm not an official...but I once played one on TV....

H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the
case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a
one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.
In a tourney I would try to borrow a disc, barring that I would think he would be hosed. This is not really covered in the rules. I am not sure it would even enter the mind of someone to enter with one disc. I mean what if you lose a disc?

I would think the correct ruling is the person may retrieve the disc. There would be a 2 stroke penalty. 1 stroke for OB and 1 per (per 803.04.H) for picking up an OB disc prior to the re-throw. They would re-throw from the tee or from where it went out.

If the player threw a disc that was not marked as their's they could receive a warning and then if they threw the disc again, an extra penalty stroke, per 802.01.F

In casual play, I would let him pick the disc and throw, 1 stroke. League would be 2 stroke, per above.
Do you not mean the current hole or throw. 803.04 H says,

"The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning."
Is it legal to borrow a disc?
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the shot is OB off the tee, he can go get the disc and throw again from where it went OB with the penalty stroke. Unless you're dealing with an "Island Tee" type situation. Then he has 30 seconds to rethrow barring safety issues . So, theoretically, he could sprint down and get his tee shot and get back to the tee in 30 seconds :).
No...unless it's a putt within the putting zone of 10 meters. The rule is pretty clear
actually this is a gray area

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

I would say as long as he put a mark on it that discerned it as being his/hers for all practical and or temporary purposes. That would be ok. After all he/she could technically purchase the disc then sell it back after the round.
For the record....Not really sure the relevance of this rule....seems not that important to the out come of the game....imo ...unless the player is a one-two disc player of course..lol
A player throws their shot over a pond lands in bounds but just rolls ob...the player elects to throw from where the disc was last in bounds...he decides to throw the disc he just threw or he doesn't...what's the real difference here? It's pretty much a moot point...I don't ever recall anybody ever being called on this.
but it is the rule...and that;s how it should be played...by the rule.
Hmm. Interesting because people regularly mark their lie where they went OB, get the disc and either throw it again or switch to another for the following shot. People seem to violate that rule all the time.
That's a big 10-4 ...obscure rule...for the most part it really doesn't effect the outcome of the game.

Most likely the rule is in place for a reason...maybe speed or flow of play during tournament play......would be my guess.

Maybe Chuck could delve into the reasoning behind the rule.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968