www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This maybe a touchy subject.  But I do not know what really makes up a good club.  My HOME COURSE is Debary.  Jamie Ruane is the T.D. there.  I have played with the Monday Club out there for little over a year.  I have seen people who are loyal to the club and has been there longer then I have.  I have heard and experienced some troubles there but the club has done well and has kept it's group RUNNING.  So as far as I know Jamie has been running a good club.

Now I have played in other courses and I have seen major trouble.  The trouble I am refering to is the way people are getting along or the ways things are ran, or people complaining that things are unfair, or new players feelings "Like why should I even play?", too many chiefs and not enough indians (Excuse the pun).

I understand that .........................

You can not please all the people all the time.

There are too many chiefs.

It's hard to be new to a group.

There are many people with many types of personality.

There will be people who play that you can not stand.

Communication is something that is hard to maintain.

Someone will eventually get pissed on or off.

I would like the participation of : Dinosaurs (Older experienced players), Newbies, Club members, and non club members, The higher ups and those at the bottom.

WHAT WOULD (IN YOUR PROFESSIONAL OPINION) MAKE A DISC GOLF CLUB AN OUTSTANDING ONE?

Is there anything that I, a humble "B" player, can do to support my club better than showing up on game day and competing it it's tournies.

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started up a woman's league. IMO, it is the best kind of club out there! One thing that make a club great is having tons of prizes! You can check out our website at www.ploegblog.net/discgolf Hopefully you will be able to find some ideas! Good luck!

Run while you still can!

Disc golf is like anything in growth stages, and believe me still in a 'grass roots' era.

The most difficult part of any club is getting participation by disc golfers who only want to play.

That's the way it is. And unfortunately this will never change.

There are some really strong clubs, organizations out there and some weak ones.

California, The Carolinas, Michigan, New York (upstate), Texas are to name a few of where the stronger clubs are in existence at this time.

It takes time and effort. Lots of effort. Unfortunately not everyone has time to volunteer, with jobs, family and so on.

No one is bad here.

I believe the best things to do is keep everything as simple and straightforward as possible.

Mistakes will be made, but at least you are trying.

Simplicity.

Columbia, SC's club has taken off in the past 2 years, due in large part to one enthusiastic club president.

A club should be more than just the local league play/mini/whatever you want to call it.  One person can organize that, and in fact for a decade our weekly doubles was much more successful than the club itself.  It helps greatly to expand the club beyond those who just want a weekly competition, such as:

* Organized road trips to other courses in the area.

* Parties.  We have a summer party and a Christmas party, where players can bring guests (i.e.; their non-playing spouse) and relax without playing.

* Regular meetings that are both business & social.

* Bag-Tags, tee-shirts, etc.

* A website, as a resource for locals and visitors.

Having a club is a great benefit in gathering resources to get new courses installed, as well as doing the actual work. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968