www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Please describe the characteristics that make a shoe optimum for disc golf (ankle support? sole?). What are some examples of this kind of shoe? Can you send a link to the kind of shoe you think is best for our sport?

I've had it with my running shoes--they are too wide to allow a spin around on a drive.

Tags: clothing, shoes

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zappos.com carries all these shoes. First, one of the most important things to have in a good shoe. Is a toe cover that covers the mid sole and connects to the sole of the shoe. If you drag your foot. The sole and midsole will begin to peel away. Regarless of the quality. The other thing I look for is good lateral support. Most shoes are desinged for pronation (foot rolling on the inside) So I look for a reenforced midsole with with plastic or a combo of rubber (you will see two to three diff. colors of rubber in the midsole). A good arch is nice as well. Goretex is no biggy now that they have these water proof socks on the market.
OK, now the shoes. Montrail Hard Rocks (my fav.), but only a so so toe cover. Garmonts: Great arch support and toe cover. Five Ten: very good shoe, but the soles are so grippy. They won't last long. North Face: very good all around shoe, but kind of heavy. Vasque: another good all around shoe, but the sole will peel away from the midsole. Salomon: Doesn't have the best lateral support. However their newest (X Wing I think) offer better lat. support. I guess I would put these shoes in the trail runner catagory. I've bought them all at one time or another and have liked them all. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Ya think I have a shoe problem lol!
The nice thing about Zappo's. Is that you get the shoe in just a day or two. One time I got them the same day I ordered them. How they did that I don't know? If you want to return them. They make that easy as well.
Hope this helps you.

Peace!
I have to wear high quality shoes because I wore crappy golf shoes, walked & carried my bag on (season's pass, 2-3 times a week) a ball golf course designed for carts, and developed plantar fasciitis in both feet. I went to a podiatrist and was instructed to wear a high quality supportive shoe which for me is the Brooks Addiction Walker. After I scuff them up a bit (I wear them to work), I turn them into my disc golf shoes -- they work great provided the tees are not slick as they do not have as much tread as hiking shoes (which for me have too much traction for cement tees). The pluses are no achy feet and the right amount of traction on cement tees or grass.
ankle support? think boots
...or mids.
I've always worn some variety of new balance trail running shoe.
I would suggest Bite Trekkers. The Vibram outsole is top notch, they just don't slip. And they're also very comfortable. However they only come in Men's sizes.

Here's what they look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Disc-Golf-Shoes-Bite-Trekkers-Comfortable-Grip_...
I've worn Merrill cross trainers for 3 years now and am very pleased with them. I drag my left toe on follow thru
and theyhold up well for that. Good support too.
I think all shoes are good disc golf shoe, I've wore sneaker, tenny shoes, hiking boots and I don't think one effects my game more than the other.
I've got some New Balance shoes, but they're kinda old, so I might start falling..

R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg
Solomon's. Waterproof, lightweight, great great shoes. Little expensive, but you won't regret it.

I started off playing with skate shoes (Vans). They were loose and low and nothing what a good disc golf shoe has to offer EXCEPT there was no traction on the soles. This was good because I have a bad knee and high torque results in injury, so rotating on concrete tee pads was about the only good thing about those.

Once I started to play seriously, I upgraded to Merrells. Normally they are roughly $100 shoes, but when I need a 'new' pair, I just set up a search for my size on ebay, and have them e-mail me when there are matches. I have yet to pay more than $40 for my DG shoes. The good thing about this is that they are already broken in, and you don't really have to worry about getting them dirty or destroying them because they were relatively cheap. Also, I drag my toe, so I had the same problem of wearing the toe out, until I found this nifty solution:

https://www.army-navy-store.com/c2/images/footwear/cold%20weather/R...

It's called a "Boot Bumper" and it's just an extra piece of rubber that you glue on the front of your shoe, increased the life of my shoe by two seasons. It's usually around $8 and you get two in a package, so if you only drag one toe, then you have a backup.

As far as other features you were asking about, Merrells have a Vibram soles, gortex for waterproof, and great ankle support. Other good brands that Rescue missed are Columbias and Keens. One thing I've noticed about these kinds of shoes are that some have draw string laces vs. tie up laces. I personally prefer my laces to be really tight, but that's up to the individual. The important thing is to make sure that you're comfortable in them. I've made my case for Merrells, but find whatever works for you. Here is a link to the shoes I currently wear:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/11495M/0/Mens/...

Hope this helps.
Wow! You guys are great. This is a lot of good data! Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968