www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am getting ready to mount a new MANDO sign at my home course, Jefferson Barracks.  What type of screw/nail should I use to mount it to the tree?  Is there a particular metal that is preferred?

Views: 557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Galvanized. Won't rust.

From a tree huggers viewpoint, please don't drive nails or screws into a tree please. Adjustable zip ties work well if the tree is young and still growing. If it is a mature tree, use plumbers band hangers to strap it to the tree.

If you are going to nail it, use copper nails, that'll kill the tree for sure and clear the mando out of the way. hehehe

It is a dead tree (just a 30'-40' stump really).  It has a bunch of vines growing on it that give it the appearance of being green and alive.  Most of the extraneous branches have already fallen off and only the trunk and some of the beefier branch stumps remain.  It was probably a 100 year old oak before it met its demise years ago.
Then 3 1/2 inch blue anodized wood deck screws ought to do the trick.
Definatly use washers and pre drill the hole slightly larger(1/16") then screws intended to be used, use the longest screw that is easily worked with 4" min. the key is to drive screw into the tree making washers snug not tight or that sweet sign you made will split when the wind blows hard.
I can't believe nobody commented on what a great looking sign that is, SHARP!
Thanks!  It might be a bit large (30" across), but that isn't a bad thing I don't think.  The dimensions were dictated by the size of the letters that were available at Hobby Lobby.  It goes up later today.  I added some furring type strips on the backside so that it could fit the contour of the tree a bit better and pre-drilled the mounting holes (thanks Steve).  I had to make it look nice so that everyone would take notice.  The mandatory had to be put into effect due to another tree dying off and leaving 2 other fairways completely exposed to errant shots.  Here is a video link of the hole with some top pros playing it a few years back -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vsnxcTAyk  In this video, the pin is in the long position (we have since added an even longer position).  If you watch closely, you can see the tree that died barely come into frame on the left side just after they release their drives.  The route that they take over the top of the "Bermuda Triangle", as we call it, will no longer be available in tournament/league play.  Its a bummer, but it really needed to be done from a safety standpoint.   

Nice sign.

Hopefully it will be respected and not vandalized!

I'll look forward to throwing around the new mando at the Turkey Toss! What hole?

Hole 18

It's pointing the wrong way.  You're gonna have to turn it upside down.
If that were the case it would be a pretty sweet joke.  A LOT of locals are not really happy with the decision, bit they will get used to it.  It will be a pretty nice par 4 for the new long pin position.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968