The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

1 hit there 
ten 4'the other

why is one good
and the other bad?

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i like full round coverage and i like to see the entire disc flight, unless its a blind shot of course. i hate when you watch some tool throw a disc and then some schlep tries to zoom the flight and you cant make any of it out. i prefer commentary if it isnt beavis and butthead pretending like john madden stating the obvious. lol, i love this game!

Wow, that looked really great. The camera was so smooth and I love when they cover the shot from above and to the side and capture the flight of the disc panning over the landscape.

The Swedes can play disc golf! Must be where I get it from (I'm 1/4 Swedish). The fact that I'm only a quarter of the nationality explains why I'm not a pro. :-)
I love that shot in the field where the focus is in the grass and then zooms to the trio. Really beautiful.
what he said.....
disc golf monthly on you tube are the best its like a legit televised sport to them
So, i have watched endless hours of disc golf videos. The Swedish piece that was recommended has some of the smoothest camera moves i have ever seen. But what about it makes it compelling? Is the actual quality of the picture that captures our attention? The beautiful scenery with eye popping colors holds your attention but there is something else. The movement of the camera creates the flow of the piece. The crane technique adds movement to the disc in flight as well as the players, but is it the combination of all of this that makes it great? What is the actual story of the piece? We are pulled in, at the beginning, with three casual players, and the end, in what seems like a tournament setting, but what is the story? Come to Sweden, if you want all of this? Does there even need to be a story if the piece holds your attention? What makes it better?

I understand the concept of a B-Movie vs a 100 million dollar blockbuster, but some independents do very well, why? It is easy to see the film stock and camera difference in principle photography differentiates between budgets as well as skill level, so with that aside, what do you want to see as a disc golfer? A story, a tournament, teaching clinics, what?
The future of video in disc golf is ours, so lets shape it in a direction that we want, versus being shaped by what we are giving.
It's a little embarrassing, but I think I've watched a large majority of the DG videos on Youtube, as well as from countless other sites. (Discgolf.tv was cool--too bad it's no more...) I concur that the production quality of the Swedish video is great, and I was very impressed with it the first time I saw it. But for me--as for many previous posters--full coverage is my priority, followed by quality of players and production value. The more context the better. I've definitely seen improvements in disc golf coverage over the past few years--both live and online--and I truly look forward to seeing how much better it gets in the coming years...
Good questions to ponder, I look forward to reading other's responses. Clearly the video should contain quality disc golf play. To me, this doesnt need to be a "pro" necessarily, just quality play that is well executed. Honestly, I like the video of the swedish golfers because I can relate to the players more so than pros.

With this as a given, here's how I would rank other categories in importance:

#1 Quality, HD video - nothing is better than watching crisp, vivid video. Anything beneath HD is b-rate

#2 Multiple camera angles + solid filming
--- Seeing a throw from the throwers perspective is cool, but don't we all want to see what it looks like from the baskets perspective?
--- Get creative with your filming, take risks and get in spots that might be a bit precarious (throwing directly towards the camera, up in a tree near the basket, etc. get creative)
--- Use a tripod, shaky video sucks! with your camera on a tripod it's way easier to follow a shot smoothly and quickly

#3 Progression - I want to see a whole round. If people's attention span is too short for a full round, at least show a hole from beginning to end.
--- This guy does a good job IMO of showing his entire round. He does it solo from the looks of it which is impressive. With a crew it could be even better.

I think videos that flow differently will attract different people. In my opinion, no "one" video is the best. Something to keep in mind for the swedish video I posted is that it is a promo, the flow of that video is not necessarily how it flows in the actual movie. Has anyone seen the full video?

Just my opinion, looking forward to reading others.
This is a great example of how video is different. I enjoy this piece because the composition of the frame follows the rule of thirds, as well as some mellow music that maintains the mood. I do not believe that each piece must feature top players to hold my attention. A nice executed piece contains a story. This story seems to say, come play disc golf, it's relaxing, fun, and anyone can play.

I think that Cool Daddy Slick Breeze has mastered the art of the quick cut. His editing style is quick edgy and increases the energy to the audience.

If we could somehow incorporate, excellent camera work, nice compositional setups, music to set the mood, and the quick edit, we may have found the formula into what makes an exceptional disc golf video?
Where do you buy this video at?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968