www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This discussion is for all of those who are frustrated with the course selection around your neck of the woods.

I live in Grand Rapids, MI; and anybody who knows GR and its local disc golf courses well, knows that when comes time to play, your only logical choice is to start driving to the southside of GR. This is a pain in the butt, since I work 8-5 and trying to drive anywhere after work is a timely ordeal. I would like to see more courses on the northside of GR. For instance, how about Towns End Park, or Lamoreaux Park, or Wahlfield Park, or just any where! There is so much beautiful terrain on the Northside, that it blows my mind that no one has taken advantage of it. The only course that technical counts as being on the Northside is Riverside Park, but most would consider that park to be more centrally located. Where would you like to a course added?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

River Oaks park K-zoo area. Seems to be alot of field and grass space available with plenty trees and scrub around the front part of the park. It has potential. imagining oshtemo, to river oaks, to coldbrook, then to ft. custer and off to begg. are we being to greedy?

For the record, south Grand Rapids has the highest service levels I've yet found. Yet, as you say, that drops off for the north side. You can see that the parks you mentioned would be good locations to spread those higher service levels north.
i wouldn't say so i think we could use a new course in the k zoo area, also you forgot too add Robert Morris to your list of parks that could be played if river oaks park was added
I personally would love to see a course installed into Central Park in NYC (if the baskets would not be stolen). I would make the 80 minute train ride at least once a week, if not once every other week or so.
Wow! You summed up my exact point using Google Earth. Very nice.
Too greedy? Never :) By the way, I'm trying to remember where River Oaks is located. Isn't it off of Kings High Way? One park in K-Zoo I always thought would make a good course is Milham Park. I love the creek that raps around the park.
Grand Rapids definitely needs a new course somewhere. Three of the courses listed in the PDGA directory are defunct pole hole courses. in my opinion the best Grand Rapids course is not in GR but out in Lowell(Fallasburg). There have been some positive improvements to GR courses this summer. Teepads on the back nine at Riverside, and the beginning of teepads at Fallasburg. While i am sure there are nice parks on the north side of town i am not familiar with any of them. Many of the courses, except for Brewer, are in multi use areas which creates a safety hazard. Cascade is one which has holes along well used walking paths, near playgrounds etc. J.C. and old farm are both in neighborhood parks where the risk of hitting a pedestrian is high, and no one is that good to guarantee they wont hit someone. Dont even get me started on Riverside, too late.fishing on holes, picnicing on holes, walkers, joggers and bikers playgrounds, etc. While this may start to sound like i am bitching, we need a new course somewhere, in an area where the use is solely for Disc Golf. Similar to fallasburg. I would also like to see a tougher/longer course design. many of our in town courses are pretty short
Good point about the multi use parks. It would be nice to see more parks dedicated to disc golf only. Johnson would be the case, but I tend to stay away from post courses since no tournaments are about be played on a such a course. Two of the parks I have listed (Wahlfield and Lamoreaux) have absolutely no purpose. I'm not even sure why they are even listed as parks. Both have a significant amounts of unused land that could guaranteed some difficult and long layouts. I'm sure it would be difficult to turn my dreams into reality, but I don't think they are too unrealistic.
A park on the north end that has great potential for disc golf is Luton Park. It is currently undeveloped. I had conversations with the Kent County Parks about this area prior to getting the OK for Fallasburg. I will approach them again and find out if there are any plans for developing this park and try to ensure Disc Golf is a part of it.
Cool. Thought about that park when I was mount biking there. Rockford is long over due for some courses.
that would be great if they made a disc golf course there since it's only like a 10 or so minute drive from my parents house. that and i don't see to many disc golf courses in grand rapids that seem interesting enough to play.
try Fallsburg.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968