www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am looking for a new driving putter.  I currently use a challenger but have not been happy with the results as of late.  I am looking for something I can rip on and know it will fly straight, but something that also won't hyzer out when throw flat and slower?  Is there anything out there for me?

Views: 1764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hands down, the Zone it goes farther than any normal putter, its very low profile so its almost more of a mid range, I can huck one 350.  I can also attest to the focus being a great driving putter, I never seem to turn it all the way over. Ive also thrown one of those over 300ft.  But really its whatever works for you, I see people using all different putters to drive with.

KC Pro Aviar.

I would agree that it takes a good move to net the desired results with the Pure, do it wrong, and it shows. It has all been going right with the Pure, and today it went perfect. I aced hole #9b on the Lakeside course at La Mirada. In the new teepad position we are estimating 355' downhill under a low canopy. Smashed the crap outta the chains.

I may have to start throwing driver only rounds to make sure my form is up to speed to throw my Pure. :)

Well done sir!

Distances out past 250' with a putter is getting pretty extreme. I know we can all do it because we are studs, but that really is a long way for a putter. There has to be a comfort level for you with driving a putter, mine is about 70% power combined with hitting the right height and angle. Beyond 70% and my form will break down for driving with it; that or I better have a little room for making the mistake. I am so much more effective using a shorter reach back and punching the shot there. If it looks like I'm gonna have make a long reachback with the putter while on the teepad, I'll just stop and change out for a mid or fairway driver to stay in that controlled power zone.

Find a putter that works for you in your comfort range of power, you'll be deadly accurate with it.

ZONE, its a slower buzzz

How is the mercy compared to the pure in the hand?  Is it deeper than the pure?  I love the Zero line grip but how is the new EZE?  I am thinking of getting an Opto Pure.  I am really liking how the pure is flying for me right now.

It is deeper and a much different feel. The ones I got are super sticky and feel like a medium wizard to me.  I love the opto and gold plastic but the eze is perfect for a putter imho.

Wizard.

I putt with a magnet and a KC.  I have used too many putters over the last few years and have driven with all of them, so I might be of help on this one...  Straight/anny less that 250= magnets all day  (check Jerm and Cale's bio on discraft's page for a lil boosted confidence in your consideration)  I think that aside from the magnet, the best driving putter is the pure over all.  The problem that I find with pures is that they start great, break in marvelously and then after a month or three, they go into helter skelter mode and I lose trust.  I have hit aces with both magnets and pures, 200 and 220 respectively, but the pure is out of my bag and all have been given to less powerful throwers at this point because they are money for them, not trustworthy for me in that stage of their lives.  I have a Opto Pure coming my way, thanks to a friend who scooped one for me at Worlds.  Can't wait to throw it.  

I hear amazing things about anodes and I purchased one to check it out.  It is one heck of a utilitiy driving putter (I hear the gyro ones are the best,,, idk)  I like it a lot but I only have space for three driving putters and it didn't make the cut only because it couldn't beat out the glow Champ aviar p&a.  I can't find anything recently produced that I like and I look for the 08 cfrs because they are VERY stiff and I can wail on them with maximum driving force with no worries at all (won am distance at the GBO this year with 546')  I got 5th in ADV at the GCC this year because of the 08 glow aviar and knowing how to use it.  I threw it for every non anny/non overhand drive under 380 and it distanced me from the comp.  Their wasn't much of a canopy there and the course was so fast/skippy that I could throw it 340ish and trust it to just slide up to the basket.  The folks I played with were throwing mids/edges and were skipping 60 left.   This lead to lots of OB and NAGS and over time a lot of busting my chops for bombing putters.  I would slide 30-40 up on the completion of flight on my drives and was rarely out of the circle while using it, but that lead to a lot of non-converted birds due to my previous troubles with putting...

Nevertheless, If you can find a STIFF one buy it.  I don't mean kinda stiff, I mean, might as well be made out of metal stiff, like this last year's cfr glow champ firebirds are in comparison

I have no idea about the mercy but I would love to chuck it, and if you like the uderdog/lil guy companies, like I do, you should consider getting a clutch, which is basically a re tooled hard magnet and the other Legacy putter, the clozer, is a slightly more over stable version of a clutch/magnet that is a little beefier in the rim.  Hope this helps and happy huking

I use a Vibram Ridge (X-link Firm) off the tee. So easy to use and flies straight and true. Super durable. I've had mine for a couple years now.  Don't be afraid to pick up a couple of these discs that have been mentioned in the thread. Worse comes to worst, you can trade em' out or sell them. 

I made the switch to wizards, ain't no going back to anything else. Great putters for sure.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968