www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,  I'm doing my first tournement in Feb, looking for a good disc golf shoe.  What shoes do you like the best for the sport?  I find my plant foot slides around alot, especially on wet, and snowy Tee-Pads.

Please advise.

Views: 2481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with the statement you get what you pay for, but some times you are paying for a name. As for my footwear for disc golf from late March to October I wear a good quality whitewater rafting sandle, holds up good and wears good, for other months no snow New Blance sport shoe, for snow good quality boot { usally Red Wings} with good socks. As in any thing you have to find what works for you.
Whatever Shoes you choose , make sure they have the Grip your looking for and Comfortable.

Thanks for all your comments.  A huge help!  I have compiled the shoes i like best from your responses.

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX
The North Face Men's Ultra 104 GTX® XCR®
Chameleon3 Ventilator GORE-TEX
The North Face HEDGEHOG GTX XCR

I got the NF Hedgehogs a year ago and love them! Best disc golf shoe I've ever worn, Saving up to get about 4 more pairs before they do something stupid and stop making them...
Carefull with the Salomons. I have several pairs and love them!, but they don't make a great disc golf shoe. One day I forgot my standard disc golf shoes (Garmonts). So I had to wear my Salomons (XT wing comp GTX). Not even through a full round and the sole started to peal away from the mid sole (near the toe). Also, even with the thicker fabric due to the goretex as well as the added plastic in the midsole (internal and on the sides). They still didn't have enough lateral support. Having said all this, keep in mind. I also weigh around 200lbs. So I'm sure that factors into the lat support! Poor shoes lol!
If yer favorite courses have concrete pads then the best grippers are artificial turf shoes designed for football or soccer. They will hold the pad quite well and grab mud and tough terrain with ease.
That's impressive.

When the course is set in park-like conditions, I now opt for my skate shoes.

Padded & supportive, they are comfortable and produce less tension on the feet.

For rugged courses, believe or not, Born make some tire tread-soled shoes that hold up quite well.

I'm on the hunt though, for the perfect pair.

I don't think I'll buy a pair of Merrell's again.

Good info Lafn. I wear a keen hiking shoe or sometimes a columbia hiking shoe. Both are realy worn down, but still give me support and plenty of grip on concrete even when wet. I have a nice pair of vasque with a lug type sole that I use on courses with no tee pad. The issue I have is finding the right grip balance. The vasque digs into the turf and prevents my plant foot from rotating freely. This can be almost as dangerous as no grip at all, as both extremes can cause a fall. I can't imagine playing with cleats.

The right balance between too much grip and not enough grip is a very thin line. For example, when pouring concrete tee pads on new courses, a "broom" finish in not recommended because it creates too much friction. The plant foot must be able to rotate or injury will result.

So on the North Face Hedgehogs, i noticed on the REI website there are two different kinds the Hedgehog III hiking shoe, and the cross training shoe.  Which one is the right one? 

$110- The North Face Hedgehog III GTX XCR Hiking Shoes - Men's  http://www.rei.com/product/811478

$59.83- The North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR Cross-Training Shoes - Men's http://www.rei.com/product/763575

Both are Awesome. Try each pair of Hedgehog's on and see which is the most comfortable !!!!
I loved the regular shoes.  their sandals were horrible for me, and although I liked the boots at first, they stopped being water proof after a month.  I still use them because they have not broken down in any way, plus the vibram bottoms are great.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968