www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,  I'm doing my first tournement in Feb, looking for a good disc golf shoe.  What shoes do you like the best for the sport?  I find my plant foot slides around alot, especially on wet, and snowy Tee-Pads.

Please advise.

Views: 2522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DC's and DVS's... Period..   They are designed to be light on the foot for easy maneuverability and to grip Boardtape (witch is kind of gritty just like a brushed concrete teepad) I have been using DC's and DVS's for 10 years now... no problems off the tee... I feel an easier heel turn in them too, being that the shoes have flat flexible soles... no problems in wet or snowy ground... not recommended for ice!!(but what shoe is??)

Grip is a touchy thing in discgolf If you get too much it slows your approach witch results in early releases.. too less grip, well you fall on your face... I wouldn't recommend turf shoes because they are designed for sharp cuts in wet or dry turf or grass not for concrete... High strain on your ankles and increased risk of twisting a knee... I haven't tried any discgolf shoe.. but they look bulky and heavy.. also look like too much grip on the ball of your foot... Your foot has to have a easy transition from heel to toe on your release.. but I cant say.. This is just my opinion of what I have seen and experienced.. Just like everything else in DG you have to find what works for you.. But that is hard unless you have a endless money supply to test run a bunch of shoes.. So take from this post no turf shoes...

The "hiker" is a newer model and appears to be a replacement of the "cross trainer". The one everyone that most people have been commenting on is the "cross trainer". Unfortunately there don't appear to be many left in stock at REI.com  If you have a store near you, there may be a few left out there in different sizes.
stone creek you can get em at academy for like $20, and they last quite some time.......try em out get the "Ascender"
Those are both the same shoes, just the more expensive ones are this years new model,the other ones are on clearance, which is why you can only get them in sage in 7.5...
I wear the Adidas Kanadia TR3's, I think that's what they are called. Aggressive sole design, light weight, and totally comfortable. Well ventilated also, but they don't let a ton of dirt into them either.
My home course is Morley Field, the most crowded course in disc golf. The concrete pads are significantly worn and can be quite slick, even when dry. Turf shoes are the only shoe short of Vibram soled boots that will grip the pad.
I started playing with a pair of Nikes, within a month I had busted the seams and a sizable portion of the mesh on the outside of my plant foot.  The tread also got chewed up pretty fast.  The rotational force, especially when throwing from cement tees, is hard on a non-reinforced shoe.
I got a pair of these as my warm boots this winter.  I have been very pleased with their performance in deep snow and ice.  Good grip on slippery surfaces.

For warm dry days (which are not overly abundant in Alaska) I go with the Vibram Five Fingers KSO.  For me, the barefoot feel allows more confidence in awkward positions.  I love being able to dig in with my toes.  The thin sole on the ball of the foot is also enough to protect your foot while also allowing great rotation.  But, definitely not good for winter as there is little to no insulation in the shoe.

In any other conditions I tend to wear the Merrell Chameleon 3 ventilator hiking boot.  They are great for the puddles, dew and shallow swampy areas.  I don't have nearly as good of feel as I do in the five fingers, but they have a decent tread so I don't worry as much about slipping as I have in the past.  I got mine early last summer so they took an injury shortened season of abuse and the tread still looks good.  Paired with a good winter sock they don't do too bad a job keeping the toes warm as long as you're moving.

I play mostly cement tee pads and rarely have a problem with slipping. My problem has been my back foot dragging and grinding my shoes off on the cement. I have had expensive all terrain shoes and cheapies wear out in a short amount of time. I prefer an outlet store pair cross country running shoes. Buy em a couple pair at a time $30 a pair. Usually good for a year. They are good on wet pads as long as it's not sloppy mud or snow. In which case im not sure any shoes are exactly ideal.

I have been using a Timberland shoe for years. The hold up well and basically you have to wear the sole out to kill the shoe. The bottom two-thirds of the shoe is rubber and looks like the old duck/boat shoes, the rest is rough leather. It's got a good knobby patterned sole that settles in well on sticks and roots for footing. Here's the link

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4204817

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968