www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,  I'm doing my first tournement in Feb, looking for a good disc golf shoe.  What shoes do you like the best for the sport?  I find my plant foot slides around alot, especially on wet, and snowy Tee-Pads.

Please advise.

Views: 2522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a pair of the North Face Hedgehogs,  I play a lot of golf on rough courses and these babies thru mud, rain and snow are waterpoof and don't slip whilst teeing off .... i like them
I've been wearing Keen Milos for a year now and I always recommend them. I played a 4 hour round in 5 inches of snow without getting wet socks. That was pretty impressive. They're also light enough that they didn't affect my run up or throwing style at all. Unfortunately I've worn the treads down to nothing from all the concrete tees last season. They still feel incredible though, just less grip.
yeah and screws on tee pads are not good!
I just use a pair of new balance running shoes and boots if it snows.

My day job is selling shoes so this topic is near and dear to my stomach. Our store is only about three blocks from a disc golf course, so I have plenty of opportunity to get feed back. Top advice I give - Get a shoe that is comfortable to you. A round of discgolf involves several miles of walking and can be over a wide variety of terrain and double it for tournament days.

Running shoes can be very comfortable, but they often don't have enough grip in rough terrain and the foam in the midsole is a bit soft so they break down faster. Expect no more than 6 to 8 months of good support from street runners if you are of average size and put the equivalent of 5 miles per day on them. After that, the midsole has collapsed enough that it won't give good arch support. You can tell by looking at the soft midsole, will develop creases and wrinkles. That's you clue that the shoe is breaking down under foot.

If you like the feel of a running shoe try "trail runners" like Salomon XA or The North Face Ultra (any number 101-106) or Vasque Blur. These shoes were designed for adventure racing, so they should give better grip, hold up a little better.

The one drawback to running shoes is that they were designed for forward motion only. Since disc golf includes both lateral and twisting motions. That's why the Milo has a reputation for coming apart, it's based on a running shoe. And even though they added a toe rand to help with "toe drag wear", it still doesn't stand up to lateral and twisting forces well. The next step up in in shoes is the outdoor cross trainers. Something like The North Face Hedgehog, Merrel Moabs or Chameleons. For my personal use I opt for the Chameleon because the mid sole is stiffer providing more support and stability for my flat, fallen arches. But, I also hear good reports on the Hedgehog and Moab. There are other good brands as well, but these are the most popular ones in the "affordable" category.

If you're playing in slush, mud or a very wet area, you may need to add gore-tex or high tops to your must have features. My ankles aren't very stable, so I think a mid top may be in my future. Make that "near" future. I've had my Chameleons as my primary disc shoe for couple of years and it's showing the strain.

the ones i would get in trouble for buying by the wife,merrels,,but ive been wearing columbias and they are a good shoe,and a pair of north face,those also good

I play in MA so playing in snow is common place , I've tried Northface and Coumbia but nothing can compare to these: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/10414M/0/Mens/Ther...

Gore-tex with Polar Tech Lining (fleece used to make Northface) unbelievable traction , and great wrap around toe to heel protection. Basically UNSTOPPABLE!

Thats like saying why Pay so much for Nike, or Under Armour shoes? Just buy Walmart brand! LOL

Your going to get what you pay for, so dont settle for something less! But i do highly recommend the Sealskin waterproof socks. We wear whatever shoes around here (Ohio) and just throw them waterproof socks on, and your good to go. Your feet wont even get wet with holes in your shoes.

Montrails, Garmont, or The North Face in Goretex. If you want a good shoe, you have to pay the price. Out of the three, Montrails are my favorite. A dark horse is a company called 5-10. They make mountain climing shoes, but they also make a mountain bike shoe. Kind of looks like Vans, but that's were the similarities stop. The grip on these shoes is insane!

Check out Zappo's.com. They have the best customer service, quantity, and prices around.

I have always been a fan of Lowa shoe company.  They don't make the trendiest looking shoes, but they DO make the highest quality shoe.  I've had pairs last for 2-3 or more years of avid disc golfing...and they are still in the closet as back-ups for hurricane days.  The soles are durable enough to hold up to concrete tee pads, the stitching is bullet-proof, the foot-beds are top notch, and the waterproofing never fails.  I have gone with several different styles over the years and not a single one of them disappointed.  If I had to pick one out as superior, I guess I would go with the Lowa Renegades.  They don't come cheap, but you earn your money back in the long run.  Also, you can order them through REI, so the 100% satisfaction guarantee is in effect.  You could step on a nail and REI would replace them for free...no questions asked!
My latest pair of shoes are some Hi-Tecs that I got a while back. They are the Rogue WPs. Great support, comfortable as can be and they even have a waterproof liner. That doesn't make them waterproof, but with a good spraying of Tectron they do very well in all conditions.

I got some DVS Militia Boots.

Feet stay warm and dry. And i stay stylin'.

Used them for my first tourney of 2011 in the Midwest a few weeks ago. Work great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1_U4DkvH1k

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968