www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,

In my short player career, I have been fortunate to recover every disc I have lost...knock on wood. Of course, using the Golden Retriever has helped much...

But, question. I am passionate about this sport and helping to grow it. And, today was playing with two new players, sharing my discs with them to throw.

And, on the final hole one of the players put my Discraft driver into the water. We could not see it to retrieve it...so, right now it is lost.

This player while bummed about losing the disc, did not offer to get in the water to find it and did not offer to compensate me for it.

I did not ask for money because I don't want to be THAT guy and I hope they will continue playing. 

But, is there a standard practice when someone loses one of your discs? Thanks!

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry about your loss. For myself , I'd never let a newbie throw one of my disc's on a water hole , unless I didn't care about it. Hope it was not brand new or expensive.

Ask them if they can swim?

I think what's really bothering you, is you might feel your generosity has been taken for granted, possibly now questioning how good this friendship really is. I bring friends out discing for the first time all of the time. I realize you're just starting out, but unlike you, I have tons of plastic and bring out the basics I don't like, use or whatever and if my friend ends up picking it up and has a good time, I'll let him/her keep the discs and just ask, when they begin to build up their plastic stockpile, to do the same some day down the road for someone else just learning as well.

I think if this person had just offered to get in the water or replace it, I bet like many of us, just the offer would've been enough and you'd declined, just knowing that person's a true friend.

You did good, in helping the game continue to grow, the Disc Gods will have your back on this and I'm sure an ace is right around the corner for you, so hang in there and let go of what you can't control - your friends inconsideration.

Craig, thanks! You nailed it...still new to the sport..still building up my stock of discs...so, the loss of a disc still hurts...but, yes, just an offer of, "hey, I'll go try to find it," or, " how much can I give you for it," I would have declined either offer...just wanted to hear the words...see the real concern...

But, yeah, trusting the disc gods...and, I think they have already answered...and unnamed pro player who I just bought a disc from is sending me another gratis...you have to love this game and all who play it!!!

Get a deposit next time to avoid that sinking feeling.Although never losing a loaned disc to the water gods,the many thick palmetto bushes in Fl have claimed errant thrown discs from those learning the game."Oh well" after time spent looking,someone might find it to enjoy..;>}

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968