www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What type of affordable camcorder would you recomend for video recording rounds of disc golf?

I have been using nikon coolpix 8.0 mp but i really don't like the fact that it doesn't soom as well are there any recomendations for my next camera????

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had great luck getting used miniDV cameras on Ebay. Last summer I needed two back-up cameras (also utilized for data transfer) and scored nice units, each well under $100.

Joe
Disc Golf Live said:
I've had great luck getting used miniDV cameras on Ebay. Last summer I needed two back-up cameras (also utilized for data transfer) and scored nice units, each well under $100.

Joe

how is the zoom on it though can you follow things from a distance??
Digital Camera's:
Well if your looking for a camera with large zoom you may have to switch to digital slr. Most point and shoot camera's only have about 3x optical zoom and 12x digital zoom. The advantage is these are cheap, small and easy to use.

Some of the advanced digital camera's have upwards of 30x total zoom. These have more options and are also larger to carry around.

Digital Slr have changeable lenses. They are also expensive and even larger then the previous mention.

Camcorders:

Digital camcorders have a much larger zoom. I looked at a few sonys that have 150x optical zoom. They do have some cheaper options for digital camcorders such as the iflip but it really doesnt have much of a zoom at all 3x. The next step up would be mini-dv that also have 150X+ Zoom. The only draw back would be the mini dv tapes. I would also suggest going to best buy and playing around with most of the camcorders and seeing how far they zoom across the store to see the distance in real life not just on paper.

If you can get a bit tricky you could get one of the cheaper Iflips and set it up at the t area and watch the disc flght as it comes towards the camcorder. Change up the shot to avoid having to spend more money for zoom or tapes.
jhloader29 said:
Disc Golf Live said:

Joe

Zoom is one of the features to pay attention to. (Ignore "digital zoom" numbers since you don't want to use that - such zooming can always be done while editing, if necessary.) I've found cameras at 12x or so are barely adequate. 16x or 20x is better (and you'll almost always need to use a monopod or other stabilizer to get good shots of golf.) My good camera is 20 x (canon gl2) and it pulls in long shots pretty well.

The Panasonic line of a few years ago was really geared towards "prosumer" grade units. That's not necessarily the case any longer. I'd suggest the PV DV200 or 400 cameras, or similarly appointed ones from the panasonic line. Reliable and now pretty inexpensive when used (but not so inexpensive when they were first sold).

Joe

I totally agree that digital zoom is usually not all that its cracked up to be. I would avoid and it find a good optical zoom numbers.

Disc Golf Live said:
jhloader29 said:
Disc Golf Live said:

Joe

Zoom is one of the features to pay attention to. (Ignore "digital zoom" numbers since you don't want to use that - such zooming can always be done while editing, if necessary.) I've found cameras at 12x or so are barely adequate. 16x or 20x is better (and you'll almost always need to use a monopod or other stabilizer to get good shots of golf.) My good camera is 20 x (canon gl2) and it pulls in long shots pretty well.

The Panasonic line of a few years ago was really geared towards "prosumer" grade units. That's not necessarily the case any longer. I'd suggest the PV DV200 or 400 cameras, or similarly appointed ones from the panasonic line. Reliable and now pretty inexpensive when used (but not so inexpensive when they were first sold).

Joe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968