www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just finished a tourney and placed in the top ten. But the award was less than the entry fee!!! Had a dream last night about poking the director in the chest and I was mad as hell. Also what about the players who dont have the skill to go pro and wanna earn some cash once in a while instead of plastic.

Views: 703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're an am.  If you want prizes, go pro.

You won't get rich playing disc golf.

Did you get a players pack? Add that to it and maybe it will total up to your ridiculous standards.

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS POST DAVID.

Always lookin to create a stir.

This post usually causes a stir, lots of haters.

I wasn't gonna post on this topic cause I don't want to stir the pot.... BU, then I got to thinking... Lol.

I have only played in 2 UNSANCTIONED Tourneys in the Intermediate AM division. The last Tourney was a few weeks back. I played like Poo-Poo in the 1st Tourney. The 2nd one, I was actually doing alright until I went OB TWICE on one hole, then OB again on the hole after that. 2nd round went Much better and my score went down by 14 strokes on the 2nd round. I ended up placing 9th out of a field of 23 in Intermediate. I was Bummed cause without all those OB strokes, I would have Easily been in the top 5 in my 2nd Tourney ever. The Funny Part was they had two holes that had flags for longest putt. I ended up hitting and winning longest putt on one of the holes. I won a 11x KC FIrebird for my longest putt. I felt so GUILTY about winning it, Even though I Did hit the longest putt, I ended up giving the Firebird away to someone at the Tourney. I don't know why I felt that way, but I did. I guess I felt I didn't deserve it after throwing a score like I did.... I still had the time of my life, got to meet new people, even Won plastic. But, the $20 I spent on the entry was worth Every Penny, regardless of cashing out or not. I would pay $20 for that amount of FUN anyday......

The fun makes it worth it .  Now I know.

Jeff's comments reflect how I wish disc golf had evolved.  Low entry fees, trophy-only; the entry fee is for the fun of playing in an organized event, and you get your money's worth just by playing.  The TD or club that runs it earns enough money to encourage them to continue running events.

Of course, that horse has left the barn, and we've got high entry fees to create high payouts, and lots of plastic so there's a margin to cover costs, maybe make a small profit.  It's not a terrible system, just not the one I'd have chosen.

I ran two tourneys last year. The pdga has a payout page for T.D.s to use.To pay half the field insted of one third waters down the purse. the players in the top third got more than thier entry.To all golfers please try running an event or helping run an event, it will give you a view that will change how you look at our sport.

Ams are people to :)

I think disc golf has marketed itself to people who want to compete for cash and prizes.  There is an untapped pool of players who would rather pay a lower entry fee and compete for competition's sake.  There is no way to know how big that market is until we offer that product. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968