www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just finished a tourney and placed in the top ten. But the award was less than the entry fee!!! Had a dream last night about poking the director in the chest and I was mad as hell. Also what about the players who dont have the skill to go pro and wanna earn some cash once in a while instead of plastic.

Views: 708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In some ways I think disc golf has created that first group, by addicting them to payouts.

You could be right at about the untapped pool of players---but it's tough to step up and run an event that may dismiss a majority of current tournament players, in hopes of bringing in others.  Much safer commiting efforts and resources to an established formula.

(Though I've been to  a few trophy-only events, and they worked, at least on a limited basis).

Totally agree with you Bruce.

It's unfortunate that disc golf is still in the peewee leagues of "professional" sports.

This can be a good thing and bad.

Clubs usually run tournaments, most likely for FREE.

Volunteers are everywhere - from beginning to end.

Sometimes cities charge the use of the park, course, etc.... since you 'own' for the given weekend....

Food for free? Players Packs,.... takes sponsors and so on.

There are costs everywhere. Some cities want percentages.....

Personally don't believe in weak payouts, but in your situation, don't know all the specifics.

There is a price on everything. 

Some tournaments are going to be better than others, payouts, course and competition.

Disc golf is still in the early stage of sport.

Until we as a whole realize this, nothing is going to change.

As a disc golf business, not my full time job, get hit usually everyday for wanna sponsor me or my tournament....

hmmm here is your answer:

until the numbers arrive, millions play disc golf, change is very slow.

I'd say, instead of being upset, turn that anger into a positive and see what you can do to help out the growth....

get more to play, make sponsorship worthwhile to the sponsor.

8 time Tournament Director, with Worlds TD experience.... founder discplayersports.

Nice to hear from someone in the DG Business. Valid points made. Thanks Disc Player Sports. 

Just Play Open !!! :D

WORD

One way to make the transition is to design tournaments so that the base entry fee covers the sanctioning, insurance, trophies, player packs and other costs.  This might result in a $15 or $20 entry fee.  Then offer the payout game as an optional add-on for $15 or $20 more.  My brother Jon and his team have been doing this with the Illinois Open Series for about 8 or 9 years.  2 to 10% of the amateurs will opt out of the payouts if the payouts are reasonably good.  We never really experimented with crappy "100%" PDGA payouts.  We always did 140% or more amateur value. 

In 2013 the Illinois Open Series might experiment with a format that is officially trophy-and-player-pack only, with no merch payouts for ams.  That format might include an unofficial sidegame for the ams that is more fair and more fun than the PDGA-style merch payout. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968