www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here is mine... THIS IS 100% TRUE!!!! Can you beat this story???

When: 1979
Where: Niagara Falls, Canada
Disc: Wammo 180 G "Master" Ultimate disc
Arm: Bruce Vail

Back in the late 70s the MSU Ultimate Frisbee team made a road trip to play at S.U.N.Y. Rochester. We stopped at Niagara Falls, and decided to sacrifice one white Wammo 180 g "Master" Frisbee disc (the standard for Ultimate before the Ultra-Star was invented by Discraft) to the mighty Horseshoe Falls from the Canadian side.

We elected our biggest arm to do so, Bruce Vail. This was the single greatest disc throw I have ever seen, and TRUST ME, I have seen a lot, after playing 25 + years of Ultimate and 7 years of full time Disc Golf.

His throw went out directly over the rim on a 30-degree hyser, shinning like a beacon against the vast darkness (the falls is brightly lit at night with floodlights), following the exact contour of the horseshoe. It looked like he made it at least 1/3 of the way to the center of the horseshoe and dipped out over the rim, and eventually out of sight. We were astonished.

But then, as if by a miracle, he had put so much spin on this toss, it flattened out about 100 feet down, and that's when the spray from the mighty falls started lifting it back up, up, up, ... it became visible to us again, up, up, up, rising toward the heavens… up, up, up, dangling now 100 feet ABOVE the very center of the horseshoe... it just kept going, and going, and then it started drifting BACK over the water, back towards us again!!!

It then started its decent and finally hit the water a good 600 feet to our right, and we all watched, for at least another 30 seconds for the floating disc to rush by right in front of us, accelerating faster and faster, and finally tumble over the edge and down into the void.

We all just stood there in awe. No BS, the flight lasted a good 2 minutes. None of us will ever forget it.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember hearing about that skip shot off the water.
I was telling Mark Ellis about this last Sunday at Kensington leagues (he came in first place playin cali at -14).

He told me his gretest throw was at the old Pine Knob outdoor music area during a live concert; his disc somehow made it all the way to the stage, ducked under the top of the framework, airbounced, stalled, and slowly decended straight down onto the middle of center stage.
Awesome!
Shortly after I learned about this wonderful game, I was playing with my baby daddy & some friends. It was getting dark, but we thought we could play 1 more hole. Kenny (baby's daddy) steps up to the teepad, which is kind of tucked back in the trees so it was even darker. He throws his disc on an anhyzer (accidently), but we couldn't after it dove to the right. We're all straining our eyes to see the result of his throw, and we heard chains. There were some guys on the next teepad who saw Kenny's disc rolling down the fairway, it hit a tree root sticking out of the ground & popped up into the basket! So, I guess I didn't reall "see it", but it was the coolest ace I've ever witnessed.

Had another most awesome disc golf moment: a friend and I went to the Grand Canyon. We sat there for a bit admiring the view. I know it's wrong to litter, but we just couldn't resist; we had to go get a disc out of the car just to see if we could get all the way across. We didn't make it, but it was awesome to watch them fly. It was my longest drive!
That is ridiculous.. I might put my epic back in my bag after seeing that. I thought I had a decent tomahawk but that guy takes it to a new level.
Had to be at the 2009 Lilac City Open at the Four Mounds Jumanji course. The hole is a 650 ft slight downhill shot with huge 70+ ft Lodgepole Pines covering the hillside...there is a small tree gap that will put you at around 300-370 ft. if you hit it...Avery Jenkins steps up and throws this huge anhyzer over the trees on the hill so he had to have cleared 100 ft . vertical then the disc flies way out to the right past the trees and hill...flirting with the high voltage powerlines....then slowly hyzers back and drops in about 30 ft. from the basket.
Yes they do all float!!!!

What happened to your pal's throw is this: The Aerobie Epic has such a thin profle, when it hits the water, it knifes right through it. It also has a VERY sharp edge. Your pal's disc cut through the water and stuck into the bottom of the pond.

I have seen this happen at least 200 times on my home course; I play along a river with a current, and always use the Epic for a couple of the "dangeous" shots, so when they get stuck, my discs usually work themselfs free within an hour or 2.

I have see them get stuck as far down as 4 feet!!

marty
I actually remember you doing the skip shot off the pond on hole 7 at Tuscawilla and parking the island placement.
Ace on a 531 ft hole in a tourney to beat my friend.
It just happened yesterday during the Final 9 @ the New Albanian Charlie Vettiner Open. Dave Feldberg, Nikko Locastro, Kris Orrick, and Scott Rief are teeing off on the first hole of the final 9. They made that hole 6's tee to 7's basket. Hole 6 is 360ft, with at least 80ft. between the basket and 7's pad. Hole 7 is 260ft. so altogether around 600 ft or more for this hole. The hole goes up hill a for a good 30ft height difference for about the first 250ft levels out for about 200ft than goes down hill and back up again to where the pin sits on a ridge. Dave Feldberg throws this massive backhand roller that ends up pin high about 100ft. left of the basket. Nikko turns around right after and throws the same shot and comes up about 35ft short of Dave's drive. That freakin sick!!!!!!! I've always heard about these massive backhand rollers but until yesterday never witnessed one. Than Dave's upshot misses going in by no more than 6 inches to leave him a measly 3ft putt for 3. Nikko had a little more work to do with about a 15ft putt. SICK,SICK,SICK!!!!!!! As for Kris and Scott they just had to throw normal 400 ft drives to follow up with 200ft upshots. I almost felt sorry for them!
one that goes up and over all obstacles and you didn't even see that was a way to go. s curves through the woods

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968