www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I would make the basket part a little wider than the chains so they fall from the top and more chain hitters would go in.

Views: 1179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those single set of chains baskets can get ya sometimes on a nice putt. Cant improve anything without changing it. I guess you dont know if you dont experiment and think outside the box.  I know if I do better I will make more putts. Doing good with the Climo style.

Most of the baskets in my area are made by DGA, including the Discraft Chainstars.  I view them as essentially flawed, rejecting both good and "perfect" putts without rhyme or reason to an unacceptably high percentage.  I believe there is no putting style or sweet spot which can overcome the inherent flaws in the design of these baskets.  In short, these baskets are arbitrary, sometimes rewarding weak putts and sometimes spitting out good putts.   An instant before a putt hits the chains no one can predict if the putt will stick or not because, to put it bluntly, these baskets suck. 

I used to think that Innova baskets were equally flawed and the older models seemed to be.  Playing the World Championships at Indiana a couple years ago I spent a week practice putting before the event and then playing the tournament the next week on new Innovas.  I saw one bounce out the entire time, on one of my practice putts.  I saw no blow throughs.  I know Spederwebs are also a big step up in efficacy too.  I have heard positive reports of other baskets (Titans, Vortex) but have never seen them in action.

The DGAs reveal two distinct flaws : bounce backs and blow throughs.  I am not an engineer so my guess of a solution is only a guess.  I would wrap a mesh sleeve ( metal, fabric, mithral, whatever) around the inner chains, absolutely preventing a blow throughs and hopefully minimizing bounce backs.  Perhaps a 3rd set of chains like Spiderwebs would work too.

I don't want to win or lose based on good putts which spit out.  A solid putt to the center of the chains should be good.  You did your job.  The disc did its job.  The basket should too.

Interesting, maybe I'll have to take another look at the Discatchers.  I'm pretty sure my dislike for them has to do with the sound of hitting the yellow top.  If the sound of chains is a good dream, the yellow top is the corresponding nightmare.

All that means is that you threw it too high/hard.  If you hit the band, it's your problem, not the basket's.  I love teh band simply because my eyesight sucks and sometimes all I can see of the basket from the tee is the band.

I believe it is perfectly legal to tape a finger, I have used electrical tape before and that work pretty well. I'm not sure a putter switch is needed, you're just pulling your arm out a little to the right. I call it lazy putting when I start doing it, mostly because I do this more at the end of the rounds when i'm not focused. Practicing on a target smaller then the basket will help, 5 gal. bucket for example. You might try a altering your grip, extending the ring finger all the way to the outer edge of the rim, that way it can't get in the way.

Thanks Mark

That works as long as all putts are from the same direction. If you go past these targets you get another stroke getting back in front of it so you're able to putt at it. And then if you miss that putt and go by it again...

But, it will catch the disc.

Was not being serious with the netting.

The baskets are fine and imperfect.

What is perfect is your putting form.

You will miss a couple because of the alignment of the planets, miss hits, wind, someone talking while the disc is in the air (a fallacy).....

Some days the basket is like the ocean catching everything.

What made those putts that day, the 'basket' or you?

Ride the wave!

IT IS NOT A FALLACY!!!!

;)

Chainstar's and mach 5's (same basket, made in china) do have sweet spot its just very small (2/3 of the way up 3 inches right of the pole with 5-10 degrees of hyzer, for a righty). 

Mark your like of Innova's baskets is probably because it suits your putting style best, all baskets have a best putt on them (doesn't always catch them but does at a very high rate) you just have to learn which baskets catch best, which way.  

The mesh around the inner chains would help greatly with spit outs and cut thoroughs, the problem there comes from a manufacturing standpoint. What do you use that will hold up over time, stainless steel chain mail is the only thing I can think of, but that will add a ton of weight and at least 100 dollars/basket to the cost. (probably way more)

Another option is to mix and match chains on different tiers, but again it has draw backs...the chains have different masses and shapes causing them to react weird and get hung up on each other.

The Arroyo Vortex is an okay attempt at a fix but again not really cost effective (and poorly executed)

The real problem is with us and our putting.

Everyone wants to slam a disc into the chains and have it fall into a basket, there is a couple of problems with that, the two biggest...

1. Issac Newton's third law of physics.

2. the game/target were originated from ground targets meaning....

* they were designed to make sure if you had a put that should go in without a deflection apparatus it does (absorbing a small variance of speed from what would be a considered a perfect putt. And what I mean by perfect putt is, the perfect speed and line (don't forget this game is modeled off of ball golf) and when putting in ball golf, speed is as important (actually more so, just as in disc golf) then the line (because the speed and spin of the disc determine the the amount and rate of fade, becoming the basis of of the line you want to take to the target).

MY FAVORITE disc golf basket is the Chainstar.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968