www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Something strange is going on.

Can somebody explain why several of the touring pros are dropping their major sponsors (DD, Innova, etc.) with more soon to follow? 

Views: 1227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Several of the players listed dropped both their main disc sponsor and DD, if they were planning to move to DD as their primary sponsor I feel they would not have stated leaving both. I understand that most disc companies do not like other major sponsors dipping into the field, tons of players that were sponsored through Vibram for shoes had to drop them once they started producing discs, this most recently happened with Paul McBeth, he had to drop DD once their discs officially released.

I see most of these players going to Prodigy Discs or Legacy in the near future, with the few exceptions that will pick up DD/Lat64.

Announcements are starting to hit social media, and will likely increase as we the New Year approaches.  As I just tweeted: BIG sponsorship announcements by #discgolf pro's today. First @dgliz youtube.com/watch?v=EsIw4T… Then @EricMcCabe11674 youtube.com/watch?v=zqNIKz… 

(Important Note: You'll need to read the comment uploaded along with McCabe's video, as the clip itself is just a vague advertisement.)

I don't know who and what is next, but I'm definitely interested.  Anyone else have more detailed, updated information about others?

It was going to happen eventually.
There are more and more disc manufacturers, just like bag and apparel for disc golf.
It does not take rocket science to develop golf discs. You need equipment and a lot of trial and error. And a commitment to stick with it.
Dave Dunipace paved the way with the bevel edge disc, which revolutionized the game to a higher speed and longer distance game.
The newer companies are following the trend and developing their own but similar directions.
What this does is get more exposure for the Latitude, European line manufacturers in the US.
Good luck DD with distribution.
Innova and Discraft will still be the top in the game.
Their load will be a bit lighter for sponsorship. Maybe even easier. Possibly more selective.
As far as making a disc golf pro life a living the dream of luxury? Well that has yet to be determined.
With tournaments NOT paying out huge purses, everything is left up to subject.

Here's a big announcement from Prodigy Discs: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui5xK9d8qms

That is very big news. Innova and Discraft have finally lost their stranglehold on the market. Not to say they don't make great stuff and will still be a huge presence but it is fantastic to see Latitude, Dynamic Disc, and Westside joining together with a strong team, Legacy gaining traction, and now Prodigy. More competition means better products!

Saw the video and their facebook page.
Seen Wolfe, Arhur, & Greenwell involved.
All now Ex Innova or are they?
Who is manufacturing them?
Are they another shoot off of Innova?
With new molds... or a Gateway experience.
They grabbed pros with incentives.
Once the initial shock is over, reality will step in.
Will they go farther, longer, straighter....?
How much more distance? If any? 5 feet or not at all?
Are they like PF FLyers? Make you run faster and jump higher?
We'll see if the contract any distributors?

I don't care if they go any further, here is why I prefer Latitude to Discraft or Innova, and hopefully this will apply to Prodigy as well. I prefer Latitude because each disc is much more consistent coming off the line and more importantly for me, they stay at that particular level of stability for longer. It removes a lot of the need for multiple discs of the same mold, the ole "ok, here is my beat up one, then here is my sorta new one, and then here is my brand new one, and then here is the one in that more stable plastic" etc etc etc. I love being able to find the disc that does what I need it to do, and then have it continue to do that for a really long time without having to question how many tree hits or sidewalk skips have changed it's stability.

Just asking questions outside the 'hype.'
Know most of the these people, and they are very respectable.
But, right now it's a wait and see.
Hope they pull off something nice.
Been selling and using golf discs for years,
Will have to find out more information before making any judgements.
Thrown the myp, vibram, and so on.
The disc competition is a good thing.
If a disc works, great.
Want to see beyond all the hype.

absolutely 100% truth... the best discs made.

Oh my god that is funny!

This is awesome! I wonder if Nate will love this as much as the rest of the disc golf community will...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968