www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I had an exciting thought the other day when was talking to my brother-in-law, who is a designer for Merrell (a division of Wolverine that specializes in hiking apparel). I told him how cool it would be if Merrell made disc golf shoes, since myself and a slue of other disc golfers I know use Merrell (or other similar brands) as their preferred disc golf foot attire. Since I cannot think of a single disc golf shoe in existence, I told him Merrell could have a strong chance of cornering that market niche. Since Merrell is a quality brand and based out of Rockford, MI, I would defiantly welcome a disc golf shoe and use it religiously. We continued our discussion with shoe tread ideas and other suggestions. He said he talk about with Merrell's VP, but I want to know my fellow disc golfers' thoughts...

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm... I'll ask my brother-in-law if what you say is true. That would be a good thing to know for myself since I wear Merrell.
The shoes I pick must be waterproof. Whether walking through dewy grass, standing in casual water, or playing in the rain or snow, waterproof is essential. My winter pair is also insulated with snow tread.

Similarly, good wet traction on rocks, asphalt, and cement is critical. I've had Merrells that were great when it was dry, but got so slippery when wet that I could hardly walk on a smooth sidewalk.

My personal fav's.. For spring/summer/fall. These plus seal skins are great for me. I would love them in gore-tex or otherwise weather proof for the winter. The real selling point on these is the fact that their light weight nad mostly mesh for drainage. Also the tread is like a hiker so you get awesome traction on anything, 'cet Ice..
Big props to Merrell. I ran a fundraiser back in July to replace two stolen baskets and right before that I played a round with a Merrell shoe rep, who after we played, sent me a $115.00 gift certificate to give away during the fundraiser.
Great shoes and great people.
Also wear NB and Salomon, and some Vasque depanding on the weather.
i wear regular old tennis shoes, sometimes hard to walk up hill in with elevation changes same with down hill doesn't help the grip has wore off the bottom, i will have to get me a pair of shoes like this eventually
Very Cool
I currently wear a pair of new balance. Love the shoe. The way it fits all that good jazz, HOWEVER, it sops up water like you wouldn't believe. Anytime I tee off before 10AM I know my feet are going to be soaked in less than an hour. Its funny I've had a couple people ask me what is the best "discgolf shoe". I don't know, but someone would make a ton of money making the RIGHT one.

I've been using New Balance. I am now using their '570 All Terrain' with 'N-fuse' sole. Light weight, xxxwide, good traction.
Well I need 2 types. Spring/Summer, Low tops, Preferably heavy traction. i need something that does not have laces that would catch on shrubs and branches etc. They have to highly ventilated and have a great grippy in sole. I used to have a pair of really nice Solomons that had this special type of foam that would conform to your toes and foot arch, and would last like this for months. The Traction on these were impressive, I think they were called contra grip. The traction on the heel was opposite the traction on the front. If Merril made something like that, I would def. buy a pair and switch to their brand.

For Winter/Fall I need something with heavy traction and they have to be waterproof and high tops. Laces are fine with these but if there was something similar to the laceless system on Solomons i would prefer that. I would prefer the same sole as the ones I mentioned above.

Crazy over the top ideas: Hightop Shoes with a pull out Gater sleeve you can pull out from a pocket on the opening of the shoe. You can then wrap the gater around you leg for extra wetness protection.
I love my Merrells. They're a little spendy, but definitely worth the quality. I took a poll at a tournament earlier this summer and it looked like about half of the people used some kind of specialty shoe (i.e. Merrell, Salomon, Keen, Columbia, etc.) And it looked like they were mostly in the upper divisions like Open and Advanced. This tells me that the people who take it seriously opt for expensive and good quality footwear.
Attachments:
hi-tec hydro or all terrain crocs it depends on how wet it is. (the hydro's have wholes in them.) if lava can't cut up my plastic shoes i don't know what can.
Very Nice, Crocs and Merrells are under the same parent company, Wolverine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968