www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Wanting to get better at the game! Any suggestions appreciated.Thanks!

Views: 211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Status and an Aviar. There are tons of good options, but that's my pick. Probably a good starting set for a golfer would be just these two discs. Until you learn good mechanics, other discs (especially drivers) will frustrate you.

Understable and light weight is the best way to start.
A lightweight, understable, lower speed DX disc. My beginner disc is a 150g DX leopard. Putters are more a matter of preference. I have an Aviar and an XD, and both are pretty good. I do use a heavier putter for the added stability.
I agree with you. The Leopard is a great driver for a beginner.
Agreed, wish I had one when I started. Turns into a great turnover disc when you get more power.
for me as for the driver: JLS. and for my putter ... a ching!
Leopard and Aero
I second (or third - whatever) the comments recommending beginners start driving with a stable/understable mid-range disc. Then get a driver after you've developed the fundamentals. I wish I had gotten that advice when I started. I think it would have shortened my learning curve considerably. Try some putters - whatever seems to feel/work best for you. My 2 cents on mid-range at this point would be meteor, buzz, or glide. There are a number of good choices out there.
first driver should be a rage
first mid should be a shark
first putter a birdie

these are the discs i began with 8 years ago with the exception of the rage my first driver was a firebird which i do not suggest, alot of people do not like the birdie with its thumbtrac and i have since moved on to a wizard along time ago but the birdie and its thumbtrac helped me consistently release my putts and my putt game would be no where today with out it
I always try to steer beginners away from the Pro D and DX plastics for drivers. They chunk up too fast, especially with the abuse beginners give to a disc. You want something that is going to last. But Pro D and DX are great for putters.

If Innova is easier to get in Lexington, I agree with everyone who thinks you ought to get something understable like a Stingray, Leopard, or Sidewinder. For putters, it really does come down to what feels good in your hand. If you have large hands a lid putter like a Birdie or Polecat might be good. If you have really small hands, you might get better results with an understable midrange rather than a disc that is categorized as a putter. My wife is a very good putter and she putts with an understable midrange.

I throw Discraft and DGA. So I also agree with those who are suggesting the Avenger SS and the XL. The "SS" is important. It is a completely different disc from the Avenger that doesn't have an SS. You can get both of those discs in durable plastic, Z, ESP and FLX.

I think the best Discraft putter is the soft Magnet. I like the grip and how it holds a straight line longer than an Aviar or Challenger. But I also have a flat putting style. If you have a hyzer putting style, a Challenger or Aviar has a more reliable hyzer line.

Some of the people here are recommending you get a mid-range rather than a driver. If you start on mid-ranges, you'll develop better form. You won't throw them as far but it is easier to learn how to throw straight if you start with mid-ranges. Then I'd think a Coyote or Shark would be better for a beginner than a Roc. A Meteor or Stratus wopuld probably be better than a Buzzz.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968