www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am new to disc golf and i usually use my driver as a putter because i have not went out a bought one yet. I am looking for some input on the best putter to use for a new player.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i used a regular DX aviar 149g when i first started and still do i would suggest the aviar, something simple nothing crazy, to start out with and if you feel like going more adventurous hit up the some of the other putters that are out there

but what it really comes down to is just get 3 of the same one and same weight (or just one) and practice as much as you can with it so you know how it files and feels and then you'll be set
Gateway Magic or the Wizard, but get them in Evolution Plastic (like Champion), or the Discraft Magnet
If you like a tacky grip consider these..

Omega Super Soft
APX
SSS Magic or Voo Doo
JK Pro Avair (on the overstable side)
When I first started I tried just about every putter and then settled on a Wizard or JK Pro Avair. Since then, I find that I've become much more consistant with a nice neutral putter (APX Swirl). I think it's either a 0.0 or .5 stability on the Discraft chart. IMO, they track straighter and hyzer less, so to me the are more accurate. Some say they don't handle the wind as well, but the more I play in the wind. The more I find it's more of a mental challenge. I'm not saying you can use them from 75' into a 20mph headwind, but for me they are fine from 40' or so.
Now after all this talking. This is what works for me and as I've said before. Putters are the hardest discs to reccomend imo. Due to the fact they have to feel good/right in your hand so you are comfortable with them, and to me. Thay makes for more birdies!
If you haven't heard of this site (discgolfreview.com) They have tons of reviews on all discs as well as instructional stuff.
Discraft magnet. It's a neutral putter used by many. The apx would be another suggestion. I started with a challenger and though I love em now, I think it was a lil too overstable for me then and promoted me spin putting to account for the hook.
An Aviar - any type to start.
I enjoy the Vibram putters. I have a Ridge and a VP is the softer of the materials. They're awesomely predictable and pretty forgiving. The part I like most is that they have almost no glide, so if you are staring a do-or-die/death putt in the face you can have confidence that even if you miss the basket at the top link you have a wicked good chance of that putt falling to the ground in less than ten feet. When I putt, I putt with authority but unless I am trying to send this putter off like a midrange with tons of snap behind it, it won't go far past the basket.
good ol' rhynos!!!
get something light weight
Evo plastic floats more
There's a reason that the Aviar and Magnet are industry standards. They're both great putters that will serve you your whole career. Gateway's Magic, Latitude 64's Pure and Discmania's P1 are all quite similar but much harder to find.
Dx Aviar

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968