www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

When Dave D. was around. Still might be? Then he could have answered this question. Heck if any one can, that would be nice. Soo, anyway. I had mentioned that I noticed I get about an extra 15 to 20 feet more "D" when I used Star plastic. He said that it infact is true, and that I wasn't nuts. Well, he didn't say the last part (about being nuts)because he would be wrong ;)
Now it's bugging me. How could a plastic that is not that diff, from Champ plastic get you that much more extra "D"? Now what I mean by "not that much diff" Is that both are smooth. So I wouldn't think Champ would cause that much more drag? Any one out there know or have an idea?

Peace!

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read the definition.....it refers to the slickness of liquids and solids.
Viscosity refers to the slickness of the oil.
Lack of a better word?
Here is another word....Viscoelasticity!
Did you know plastic is made from oil???
Viscoelasticity!!! ...Get Down...with your bad self!!! lmao!!! That dude's outta sight!!!
Just to clear the definition up, viscosity is not the slickness of a liquid but more the thickness of it. Its the measure of its resistence to flow. It would interesting to measure the viscosity of the different plastics in their liquid state before they become solid.

Star Wraith !!
Its the grip of the plastic polymers... Gives you more snap which creates more spin thus giving more glide... simply put
This is a very interesting topic that I wish more people would get involved in - long time pros and maybe some of the peeps that actually make discs. I really like to understand the science behind things I do - maybe it is just the geek in me. If memory serves me a DX Valkyrie has the current world distance record of 820' (never saw what the weight was - I assume 150 class?). Some of the points made seem very logical and convincing but I'd still like to see hard evidence.

I'm not sure that getting (for example) a Star Boss and Champion Boss of the same weight and relative run would be a very decisive factor. From what I understand the molds can be slightly different which can effect flight characteristics as well as the different plastics - meaning apples to oranges. I guess one thing that "someone" could do is get 10 of each disc and throw them over 100 or 500 times and see what the end result produces.
I seem to get better distance with ESP than Z. I think it is a combination of better grip allowing you to throw with more snap, and a difference in stability at the end of the flight giving it a little more glide.
Dave M. [owner of Gateway] says the thing about better D with DX types of plastic has to do with microporosity. All plastics are microporous, or have tiny holes in them, at a microscopic level. If the holes are the right size to catch individual molecules of the gasses in air, those molecules spin like little ball bearings on the surface of the disc, and then it is like your disc is rolling through the air rather than sliding through the air.

So I guess before throwing a DX disc, you should blow on it to load up the micropores!

The first part is what he says. He may be right or wrong. I don't know.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968