www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is defiantly in response to the discussion: "What's your favorite hole to throw?" I struggle to think my absolute favorite hole. I've played so many down hill bombs or beautiful water holes. But there are some BAD hole designs that stand out in my mind and should be addressed. For instance: hole 5 at Fallsburg Park, Lowell, MI. A Massive uphill climb that seems to get tighter as you ascend. The hole has kind of a ditch of thick running along each side of the fairway. There is a reason why people call this call park "Fall-aparts-burg" or "Fails-burg."

Please don't list any short, little birdie holes. They are kind of a given. No body likes a hole that looks more like a long putt. Course designers, please take note.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not a fan of holes that put others in danger...holes near playgrounds...highways and busy traffic..etc.
I don't have a least favorite hole. But I do have holes I need to work on. Such as hole 2 from the longs at The Ponds. I don't not like the hole. It just frustates me because I don't have the distance to par it yet. Again Ben and Terry I am NOT saying I dislike the hole. To me there are no bad holes, just holes you need to work on.
What I should have said is I don't have a least favorite hole. Just holes I need to work on.
I might be slightly biased but I think that Hole 5 at Fallasburg is a great golf hole. The target is visible from the tee - 555 ft uphill, fairway is 15-20ft wide for most of the way. It is very unforgiving off the fairway. It requires precise execution of two shots in a row to have a chance at a three. It is not unusual to see scores of 5+ carded on this hole. There is more score distribution on this hole than any other at Fallasburg - 16 is right behind. Don't get greedy, keep it on the fairway, card a four and move on.
Hole 1 at deerfield. 100 foot straight shot through a tree tunnel, followed by 150 feet up a steep hill...through a tree tunnel. BLAHHHHH.
That's what makes Deerfield great; precision holes, elevation changes, water, and a few bombs! If you want open go to CMU!
It's a matter of perspective.

All in good fun - See you on the course Jon. : )
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think that deerfield is a superior course by far. Just hole 1 has been my bane since the first day. I love the course over all though. It feels like a 'real' course to me, where CMU feels like 'we put this here to say that we have one'.
long pin position, Hole 17, ams and pros at Elver Park in Madison, WI.

it is about 450 feet with hundreds of trees starting about 300 feet out. there is no fairway, only trees and the hope that your shot, whether good or bad, does not hit one, which is never the case. this hole is not fair and completely ridiculous. i've never heard of a 2 on that hole, though i'm sure it has happened a few times, and 3 only happens if you're lucky enough to not hit a tree.

i am not just saying this because i don't have success on this hole, it really is poorly designed and almost always puts a damper on a good round.
I have two types of holes that I do not like to play:

1 - Holes that have areas that can reasonably come into play where you can lose your disc. I don't mind water being OB, but I don't like water that is deep, skanky, etc, where you cannot reasonably recover your disc.

2 - Long double back holes - Hole A goes 400ft north,say, is a relatively open area., and hole B is essentially the same hole going in the opposite direction, and B's basket is about 50ft away from A's tee.

I really like the links design for a golf course. On those courses, I feel like I am traversing or exploring the terrain of the course, not just zigzagging around. If the course design necessitates some holes paralleling each other, try to do it with some trees or other objects between the fairways, and for goodness sake, don't make the holes the same length with the tees and baskets across from each other making a near-perfect quadrilateral.
hole 5 at Fallsburg Park, Lowell, MI,.... I happen to enjoy playing this hole, very challenging, maybe you are just not playing it right, just because a hole is challenging it does not make it a bad hole, if you go into any course thinking they are all good holes, I will guarantee you, your game will improve, in my opinion, there are no bad holes.
Hole 13 @ Peters Creek.

It is a straight shot of 180' with a lot of trees. The whole course is tight, technical, with a lot of skinny birch trees. It is so easy to shoot 4 or 5 down, then on the very next round you can shoot 12 over.

Hole 13 is an "easy" straight shot with a mid or putter, so you would think that it would be a bird every time or even a 3 consistently. I've recorded 5s and 6s on this hole. If you shank a drive and it goes off the infinitesimal fairway...you're doomed.
I agree that there are no bad holes, unless it is truly bad course design...I've seen such a thing.

I guess most of us interpret the question as which hole gives us the most fits regardless of reason why.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968