www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

when and how did u find out about disc golf?
for me i work for the CITY OF FORT WORTH and i had a work order to put post and cable up around the parking lot of ZBOAZ disc golf course to keep people from driving out on the the course, and there just happend to be a few guys out playing so i went bought a disc and been playing for 5 months now.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey now,well it was early frisbee object/target in the 60's back in Jersey.We always had our frisbee's in hand,later on in the trunk of our car/van for on the spot play anytime,anywhere.Moved to Va.Bch area in'76 and found Bayview disc golf park.Still played with frisbee.The road beckoned again,Florida in'79 till present day.Work and family kept me busy enough,but still managed to throw at targets.A hs band trip to Daytona area in '95,passed their disc golf course and the rest has/is history to this present day.Knee,wrist aches and pain,but still throwing.Peace
i used to watch my brother play in 1995-6 and i was to young to play then and then 3 years ago i found a disc at his place when i was helping him move and i have been playing ever since.
Before they had Baskets !!!!! In 1972 , we played to natural obstacles , like Trees , Telephone poles and fire hydrants !!!!
hey now,we sometimes scored the old fruit baskets from the markets and would use them on the ground,drive a horshoe stake to anchor them into the dirt.head of our time,if we only knew!!
Donny Olow said:
Before they had Baskets !!!!! In 1972 , we played to natural obstacles , like Trees , Telephone poles and fire hydrants !!!!
Summer 2004

Me and one of my best friends, and roommate at that time, used to throw around an Ultrastar in a field by our apartment...just for fun when we got bored. The more we played, the more accurate we got...which made us want to throw even more! Unfortunately, one day I stepped on the lid and cracked it, so we had to go buy another. We went to Academy Sports and happened upon the disc golf section and both picked up a disc (mine was a DX Banshee, his was either a Shark or a Birdie). We got back home, did a little online research, and found that we only lived about 10 minutes away from Audubon Park in Garland, TX. Later that afternoon we were at the park, trying to find our way around the course and wondering why the hell our "frisbees" wouldnt fly straight :)

I played about once a week for the first few months, then got up to 2-3 times a week. About a year and a half after I began playing I got laid off from my job, and for the next 3 months I played 3-4 rounds a day, EVERY day, while I lived off unemployment ;) My skill level went from Novice to Adv Am during that time, and once I got my job back I started playing tournaments...now, almost 5 years later, I'm finally becoming a decent competitor in the Open division and couldn't imagine my life without DG.
I started early in '04. A bunch of co-workers invited me and my boyfriend to go drink and play some night golf after work one night. After that it became a routine thing...we'd all go out about once a week and play golf until 2 in the morning! It was so fun! When summer rolled around, my boyfriend lost his job and started playing daily at the course. Naturally I joined him more and more often! I was definitely hooked. I play all the time, but haven't played any night golf since. I really should look into it again!
Back in 2002, I graduated from college and went to Montana to work in Glacier National Park for the summer. I got out there 2 weeks early to visit some family. My Uncle and Cousin introduced me to the game and got hooked since.
mr ed said:
hey now,we sometimes scored the old fruit baskets from the markets and would use them on the ground,drive a horshoe stake to anchor them into the dirt.head of our time,if we only knew!!
Donny Olow said:
We also played a game called Frisbee Bike Tag in 1971 . I was 11 at the time. The Idea was to throw your Frisbee at the guy riding by in front of you to the other guy standing on the other side of the street. If you hit the guy riding the bike , you would now ride the bike past the guys throwing at you !!!! Lots of Fun and you had to be accurate because sometimes the guy riding the bike was Fast !!!!!
hey now,oh the fun one can have when the imagination is let free.Fresh air,less traffic back in the day,and the fact that our parents let us play without TOO many boundries."Call me" sound familiar and" be home before dark".So many homemade games that we all though up to keep entertained.Just think how many of those "games" we "invented" were fined tuned,spruced up to make others wealthy.Take this disc golf as an example.Ultimate,we played a rough version..oh well.Peace
Donny Olow said:
mr ed said:
Donny Olow said:
We also played a game called Frisbee Bike Tag in 1971 . I was 11 at the time. The Idea was to throw your Frisbee at the guy riding by in front of you to the other guy standing on the other side of the street. If you hit the guy riding the bike , you would now ride the bike past the guys throwing at you !!!! Lots of Fun and you had to be accurate because sometimes the guy riding the bike was Fast !!!!!
Man…I’m gonna ramble on this one!!! Going back!!!

I cut my teeth early and probably droulled on a few too!….always had a few Frisbee’s in the toy box. Mom and Dad were both Ad/Marketing people so I always had a ton of novelty discs mixed in with the Whamos. Living in a triple “A” frame at the base of a mountain in the Hudson Valley area of NY….right around the corner from nowhere…up the road from next to nothing.…not too many kids around them there parts back then…so aside from fishing, building forts, trying not to fall off the mountain or into the gorge….throwing Frisbees off the cliffs was next formidable activity…..anyway I could…who knew I’d grow up to use all those shots to this day!!!

I didn’t technically try informal Frisbee Golf till 82…the summer after 8th grade, a couple of years after moving to Daytona. A couple of the older teenagers in the neighborhood, Tom and Mike, invited me along to play “Frisbee Golf” down at the park. They had a little nine hole course marked out on some trees and rocks…we wore out a few Whamo World and Master Classes in the next couple of years, pretty much thru 84. We had a course leading to the course. Lol!!!

85 I had a lot on my plate….didn’t play much.

In 86, I was living over on the beachside. One of my neighbors over there, Jimbo, was a friend who also grew up in the old neighb and had also played with the same group of friends in the same park. He really got the bug and laid a couple of different object courses that year. The mainstay was well marked 18 hole’r with neat two tone numbers painted on the trees. We played a ton that year. I could kinda attribute playing too much Frisbee with not finishing College…..nah!! It was the excessive partying!!!

87-88 were a blur. Some time during that blur I had to get a real job….I went into construction….pretty much been there ever since. In 89 I bought a home back in the old nieghb...a couple of blocks from that park. I was working for my neighbor, Lloyd, at the time…in the wallpaper business. (Myself and my old pals would go play once maybe twice a year thru those years and during the next couple.)

One day in late 92, Lloyd and I were heading home from work…driving past that park, when I noticed a 55 gal. drum with a 13 sticker on the side and some sort of apparatus hanging from it. In about 10 seconds, if that, I knew what it was for. When I got home, I walked down to the park…and was blown away by what I found. 18 of those barrels. Tee’s with signs….2 per hole……hell, there was even a rules sign and a map. …I was like, what?...this game has rules? After walking the course reading the signs, I quickly rousted Tom and off we went…whamos in hand. We and a few others played every afternoon for a couple of months before we actually seen anybody else out there. At one point, Lloyd was like “what’s the rush in getting home every day?” Finally he broke down and stopped by K-mart one afternoon on the way home….and off he went hooked like the rest of us….playing pretty much...daily.

Finally in Feb 93, we saw them….6-7 other dudes all pulling golf carts with baskets filled with Frisbees. We laughed at them…(little did we know they were laughing at us!!!) Finally after about the 3rd or 4th time seeing them, I went over to them to see what’s “the low down on the hoe down!!!” They were from Port Orange and had a course down there that they had lost, so they got permission and moved it into Tuscawilla. In that group were brothers Chet and Rodney Rowley……..and Norbert (Disc-Player). Chet gave me a disc and off I went back to my group of friends…they all thought I was cheating with the little disc…it went in the hole much easier then the 165 World Class. A few days later, Tom found one…(keep in mind, we couldn’t throw them like the lids at first)….then one day Tom got a hold of one good….A huge rip!!! Then I tried to drive like he did and within a few try’s I got it too. We were blown away with this concept of these discs and how far they flew. We quickly joined the ranks of the Volusia Frisbee Golf Association…switched to Golf Discs and within a few months, learned of the PDGA and the other courses out there. Man!!! What a Ride!!!!....Still hooked on the best sport in the world in the same park!!!!
during the spring of 2000, some friends were headed to mobile municipal park to play frisbee golf. sounded fun so i invited myself along. i loved it even though i was horrible. i played on and off for the next three or four years, not gaining much skill. i moved from mobile to birmingham for a job, and worked there for three and a half years before i found out that the university of montevallo had a course. i picked up a starter pack of discs from dick's sporting goods and checked it out. i was instantly hooked again. that was six months ago. now i'm halfway decent and probably play 5 rounds a week minimum. i love this sport.
It all began in '91 on the Campus of Miami University Middletown, the rest as they say is history

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968