www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

when and how did u find out about disc golf?
for me i work for the CITY OF FORT WORTH and i had a work order to put post and cable up around the parking lot of ZBOAZ disc golf course to keep people from driving out on the the course, and there just happend to be a few guys out playing so i went bought a disc and been playing for 5 months now.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In October, 1993 at Wagner Park in Royal Oak, Michigan.

One of my racquetball partners, Darren Harper, told me he found this new game I should try. I told him I played frisbee in college back in the 70's and had even collected a few discs. So I was looking through my old discs and noticed that one of the disc companies, Discraft, was headquartered in Michigan. So before I went to the course, I visited Discraft and bought some Magnets and Cyclones (Gail McColl sold them to me). Just to be sure, I also took a Whamo 165 with me because I knew how to throw those.

When Darren and I arrived, I tried the Magnets and Cyclones and they didn't fly right. They just went out and dove sharply left. They were uncontrollable. So I told Darren these new discs were all screwed up. Then I showed him I could throw the Whamo on a straight line out to 100 feet. And I could throw it backhand or forehand or overhand wrist flip or between my legs. Darren said he had made friends with this guy who was on his way and he could throw golf discs pretty well. I (being the cocky guy I was) scoffed.

So Darren's friend arrived. His name was Gary Laura and unbeknown to me was the best player in the state. On Gary's first throw he threw a Roc over 300 feet on a frozen rope. I was shocked. He smoothly and seemingly effortlessly threw a disc the length of a football field. It looked magical or superhuman or something. Once he warmed up he threw drivers even further. Even more shocking, they went where he wanted them to.

I was hooked. I gave up racquetball tournaments. I played my first disc golf tournament a week later. That was about 500 tournaments ago.
First glance August 1999 - some guys from work took me out to get ripped and play this game where all we needed was one disc and plenty of intoxication and I thought it was a blast.

10 times out after that in late April / early May 2008 I tell my wife I need something more in my life with some athletic level, competition and good fun and I decided that based on my previous interest in that one disc hobby to research a little and found the Discraft videos and was hooked. Two days later I met that funny old guy and about 10 tournaments, countless hours and 50 discs later I am going on my second year in May. The people I have met, the growth in ability and the hours of fun I have enjoyed both casually and competitively have been priceless and quite possible some of the best times of my 27 years on this planet. Good thread!
I first saw a DG basket about 81 i guess, there was a older friend of mine that was responsible for getting the first baskets installed in a state park here in Charleston, which are no longer there. These guys were also the guys I did freestyle and ultimate with, it was also something to do between heat/rounds at a tourney. I only played for a few months and pretty much dropped it in order to concentrate on other things. I again picked up the game about 8 months ago and have been playing steady since then usually once a day if not once every other day. I look back now when first saw this wonderful game and regret ever turning my back on the sport. I always think about what my skill level would have been if I would have continued to play since 81, I would like to think that 20+ yrs my game would have been at least a little better.
In the summer of 1977, right after HS graduation, a classmate that was SBPresident but I never did much with until near the end of school, found out I was into Frisbee, and I met him one day at his house and he had this Frisbee game where you threw at light posts, etc, and counted how many times it took you to hit the target. The next fall, I started college at Purdue, and there was a Frisbee club, and the prez of the club had an object course. In December, he told me that there was this "disc golf association" that I need to join, so I sent my $10 in. This was before I ever saw a pole hole.
July 27,2008 while mending from ACL replacement surgery. Been hooked ever since.
i also just turned my cuz. on to the game last week. took him out to zboaz and thats all it took for him.
2005 at 48 years old. some buddies were playing and i shifted to disc from ball golf.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968