www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Where did you first learn to play disc golf? How long ago was that? I learned about the sport in 1993. North Bend, Oregon. Little 9 hole 2 pad PuttPutt course. We used to play doubles for dollars back in the day instead of going to high school.

Views: 9

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fircrest, WA 98466 in the Summer of 1977
Attachments:
Online. Seriously. I read all sorts of articles: about the x step, about putting principles, about distance tips, disc selection, about rollers. Then I'd go out to the field and practice and come back and read the article again for some clarification. Sometimes I'd email the author or pose a question on a forum...then back to the field. I read about wind and practiced drives and different discs in different winds. I don't know that this approach would work for everyone though. I applied some principles from ball golf as well.
Sunday at 12pm meet us at Cass Benton for Doubles Play with 24 Chains.
2002. Tittabawassee Trails course. I bought a DX shark to go with some friends. Still really don't know how to play. I remember putting a funny hyzer on a shot and my buddy saying "I've never seen anyone put that line on a shot before". Still to this day,whenever we play that hole, we talk about that shot.
2000 at Central Michigan University's old course. In Mt. Pleasant Mi.
I first played at Crane Creek Regional Park in Sonoma County while I was at Sonoma State U in the early 90s. My roomates introduced me to it, and I've been hooked ever since!
1985 or so, Purdue University used to have a course out by Slater Hill, they tore it out and put in student housing. The baskets went to the City of Lafayette, and they put a course in at Murdock Park, been there ever since. Same baskets too.
I still have in my bag the 1st driver I ever owned, an old VERY beat up Discraft Shadow, works great for the tough Annie's.
Ten years back was several iterations removed from its original configuration!
Early sixties,threw our frisbee's in parks and neighborhoods throughout town in Jersey.So that would of been early target/object disc golf,we just didn't know it at the time.Pluto platter from Wham-O around '57 or so, just throwing at an old bushel basket on the ground and some nailed to trees.Circa year of '77-79 at Bayshore Park in Va.Bch,Va with our frisbee' .
Started throwing again in 2000 after raising a family to the present.
Back in the summer of 2009 I had I tendon injury that prevented me from rock climbing and needed a hobby for the summer so I could heal. A couple friends invited me to play and I reluctantly agreed. Now I'm hooked and even take my putter to the mountain with me.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=401 Steilacoom pr Steilly as it is known to the thos who play it. A firend of mine had play back disc back in his elementary days at the local rec center throwing at color poles. Fast forward several years, He wanted to try it again, so we used his Bachelor party as the reason... we bought a few discs each (based on disc coolness or color) not knowing which disc does what.. and from the sound of the first chains be rung I was hooked. % years later still crave the sound ona regular basis...
I helped get that course in the ground! In April 1986, Brian Cummings drove down from the region, and Steady Ed flew in to assist in the course design, and I met them at the semicircular drive at the crest of the hill. We actually designed 18 holes, with the back 9 of the south side of the street (Stadium St?), but those holes were never installed.

I was in my second year of grad school in 86-87, and that was my first time to have a course in a place that I was living for more than a few months!. When I was an undergrad there, (77-82) we had an object course in Hort Park that we played with the standard 119G World Class discs. then later Midnight Flyers. Although there was a chance of hitting people, the disc-human collision with not as toxic as it is these days!

I played on the Ultimate team while I was there both times, but I preferred, when I had the time as an undergrad, to go to the KOA course in Peru, which was installed c. 1977. That is where I got the most rounds in during my first few years of disc golfing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968