www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have 2 people that i would have to say had the biggest impact on my game.The first would be James Harvey for putting and touchshots and the 2nd would be Greg Roberts for patience and shot selection .I have spent some of the best evenings of my life throwing rounds with jim and greg and i always thank these 2 when i play with them. i also have to add a new friend Bill Winkler who is in AK on a temporary work assignment from WA ,he has impacted my game in a positive way and im sure every player in AK that has had the pleasure to play with him ,he will be sorely missed when he leaves us and im sure he will always be a welcome member of the Alaskan discgolf family.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Initially, Joe Feidt (current editor of DiscGolfer for PDGA) got me started into the PDGA competition world while he was editor of the early version of the DiscGolfer in the late 80s-early 90s. In the 90s, Dr. Rick Voakes was my inspiration as he was leading the way in various PDGA activities and was playing at a World Champions level. (He still is in his 60s.) After 20 years, I've been able to return the favor, mentoring several up and coming course designers along the way.
I am currently looking at 2 new courses in Anchorage,AK .This is my first time doing anything on this scale and voluteers are scarce but the one's we have are pretty dedicated .one is a tight wooded course and the other is a more open mtn course .so any advice on the process would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the PDGA docs on Course Development:
http://www.pdga.com/course-development
I have two mentors. There are also all the bench warming mentors along the way of my short disc golf career.
K.
I have heard that if you drop your mentors into a bottle of Coca-Cola they fizz like crazy.
That's Mentos. But then hearing starts failing after 50... ;-)
I bought my first disc off John Ahart in Long Beach 1995 and that got me started. When I moved to San Diego I couldnt help but respect what Snapper had done with Morley Field and value his friendship and mentoring still today. I also really respect the work ethic and competitive drive of Micha Dorius and Carlo Pelg.
For me, I guess I would say it has been two people.

1. The pastor at my church when I was in first grade back in the 1970s. I used to take my sister's hula hoops and place them around our five-acre yard, then try and land my "frisbees" into them for what I always thought of as something fun to do when my dad or my sister didn't want to play catch. It was my pastor who had been out to California and had heard about this crazy thing called "frisbee golf" and got a bunch of us kids out playing around the church yard and cemetery (ad-hoc object course).

2. The Chamber Secretary in our town. Sounds strange, since she has never played a round of disc golf in her life! However, she and I are good friends, and she was the one in our community who said "We should build a course here in town! Does anyone out there know how to play who would be willing to help?" That sent me on the wonderful, tiring and sometimes frustrating journey I've been on the past four years now...getting back into the sport. I am where I am today in the sport 100% as a result of my obligation to help my friend see this crazy, incredible thing through.
Dave Greenwell
Eric Roadhouse

Louisville, Ky representin'
I was the old guy most of the time, so I didn't really have a mentor. The guys who were pro's when I started in '82 were as a group my mentors. Any body remember these guys: Eric Marx whom I traveled to a lot of tournaments with, Gary Landry one of the best forehand throwers of the time, Carlos Arispe a great upside down turbo putter, Billy Gamble a great fighter and defender of the park, Mike Ballis my first doubles partner, Ron Starsill the best male nurse in Austin, Mike Girolame very funny guy, but overall Eric showed me the most with his incredible play. I put a course in the small town I live in now and I am the mentor now. Thanks all you old Austin discers.
I'm not sure if I have specific mentor. My buddy who is rec player got me started back in May of this year. I just read a lot on the internet, magazines, videos, etc and practiced a lot. I mean I've asked people how they throw and what they throw just to get another view. I haven't actually worked with anybody directly on a specific occasion but I've picked up tips here and there. Greg Roberts is one person I've spoken to as well as Bill Winkler and many others...Pro and am. I'm just a knowledge whore, I get it whereever and whenever I can from anybody and apply it as necessary or not.
I would have to say a guy in my local club, David Heywood. He is always dropping pointers and remains positive. Another is my friend Hollis Bilton. We are close to the same and always push each other to do better. If he tries a shot and makes it, then I am going to try it and vice verses. Some of my best games have been playing against him.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968