www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just watched this video on YouTube and I have to say that it is a really good video. It demonstrates very well that people develop bad habits and do things that actually hurt their throwing ability and scrub distance. How many of you have seen the weird little skip step in someone's footwork or the arm swoop?

This is the video that I just watched...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q

Anyway, I remember exactly when my throw came together. I was out at Cottonwood disc golf course here in Colorado Springs and I ran across the guy who designed our course and was a very good Pro player. His name is T.J. Lawrence. I haven't seen him in a long time and I think that he moved to Denver (or so I've heard). He showed me the X-step and since then I am indebted to him. It was only a couple of minutes of his time but it changed my throw forever. Who knows if I would have ever figured it out without his guidance.

Disc golf is a strange sport and I think that a lot of people think that you just go out, buy some plastic and then throw that plastic at a basket. Bad habits get developed and the sooner those bad habits get broken the better. I always love having the opportunity to teach a newbie because it's a clean slate. They haven't developed those bad habits yet. And although we throw with our arms we set up everything with our feet. Poor footwork is a killer. And bad habits must be broken.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Videos taught me everything honestly. my friend who introduced it to me a year ago, just let me fail, gave no instruction whatsoever. i played like that for about 6weeks. then i began watching videos and added over a 100ft in 1 Weekend, learned a whole bunch of other shots, terminology, etc. we played again the next week, and since, he's only beat me like 3 times, if that. My disc golf terminology and understanding of the game far surpassed my ability at the time. I'm slowly getting closer to playing like "I know" how to.
Much of what I know came from myself, but I also have picked up quite a bit from the Rico boys, Blake Takkunen, Dan Beto and Brad Walker.
"start with the correct foot," I'm using the x-step as shown in Dave's Tips on Innova web site. Is that what you mean by correct or is there more?
I never had any training or a mentor. If anything, Blake @ DGR, Discraft videos, youtube, Feldberg and Climo and filming myself taught me.
is Jamie MLK reincarnated....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968