www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Is disc golf really a sport, or is it just a novel recreation at schools and public parks? Disc golf is the only “Sport” I know of where the amateurs and club volunteers donate to clubs to run PDGA Sanctioned Professional Disc Golf Tournaments. All other sports that I know of have Vendors as the primary sponsor, and they PAY the people that help to run the tournament.

Tags: club, donate, profit, sponsor, tornament, volunteer

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well stated as usual Mark...and we can't forget that...it's our roots. But room for growth on professional side of the coin is way overdue. I would say it seems like some effort to define the professionals in this sport is being made by the PDGA...New requirements to particaipate in NT's ...the NT series itself...players ratings. etc...but is it enough?

One of the issues is...nothing other then paying a few extra dollars really defines who is a professional and who is not. I think that hurts the sport as being recognizable as a professional sport.

What it means to be a professional needs to be better defined...The professional bar should be raised....well created period.

Maybe the PDGA should consider changing it's name from "Professional" to "Players" and revamp or expand the whole sanctioning process. Either way there should be some seperation from the AMs and the Pros in this sport.

The dues for AM members and Am based events should be slashed...I believe if AM fees and dues were drastically reduced...the active membership would increase..a case of less is more...
Pro players and pro events...up the ante....a lot. The Pros need to play for more then gas money.

This sport can continue to grow as both an inexpensive recreation activity utilizing efforts of volunteers and grow into a professionally recognized sport at the same time. Doing this will help both the struggling playing professional and the DG business professional.
Wow . . . hmmmmmm . . . so many great thoughts . . .

Capturing the flight of the disc . . . sign me up. I happen to be fairly decent at swingin a camera lens, if I do say so myself.

The PDGA is doing a great job promoting the sport, but may have more than enough on their plate, or maybe more of us should try and get involved on a larger level as PDGA members and volunteers. Maybe some important peeps are already discussing a "higher-end" pro player oriented entity. Maybe it is time for we the disc golfers to form an entity with the sole mission of promoting the sport's growth. And maybe these "entities" will take some weight off of the PDGA's shoulders, allowing them to focus on more governing-type goals . . . such as rules, disc and target approval, ratings, disciplinary process, event sanctioning and scheduling, etc., along with any political process, as such.

Let's say that a group of us videographers, photographers, writers, promoters, event organizers, course designers, et cetera were to organize a group of fellers that were hell-bent on bringing disc golf to every household via TV, Radio, Word-of-Mouth, et cetera? . . . hmmmm

Coin phrase, "Your sport, our dream" . . . names for our ready-to-be-formed disc golf promotion entity ? ? ? What if somebody like Rick Rothstein, amongst many disc golf promoters was willing to be our CEO and/or President directing our goals of TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION?

Thinkin' out loud,
-Derek
www.discgolforegon.com
Harley-Davidson has a line "If had to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand."

Go do it.
Disc Golf.
bump . . . thoughts?
This was touched on a bit here before.... One idea was a the formation of a Professional Players Union of some sort...focused on promoting the professional angle....defining it. Raising the bar.

Another idea is a coalition of disc golf business entities..whom all agree to contribute to a media fund at some level....specifically for a regular run networked aired promo spot. A group like this could also set professional standards and guidlines for price range, quality in customer service, etc. There's a few possibilities here.These companies do stand to benefit the most from regular media exposure...full blown mainstream interest.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968