www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Is disc golf really a sport, or is it just a novel recreation at schools and public parks? Disc golf is the only “Sport” I know of where the amateurs and club volunteers donate to clubs to run PDGA Sanctioned Professional Disc Golf Tournaments. All other sports that I know of have Vendors as the primary sponsor, and they PAY the people that help to run the tournament.

Tags: club, donate, profit, sponsor, tornament, volunteer

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only event that would be of interests to this demographic would be the long drive. But even then it would have to be promoted by Red Bull and hyped up with a lot of "xtreme" expensive marketing and commercials with Travis Pastrana saying "I can't wait to bomb some discs".
I'm from Tulsa and the PGA has had several events here in town, including the US Open. For that event, the country club that hosted it (Southern Hills) was required to provide a certain number of volunteers. Not unlike our volunteers, these had to pay $150 for the right to do it. This covered their shirts, hats, badges, ect... They still had to buy their own pants of a certain style and color. Even with being charged to be a volunteer, they had people lining up for it and pulling strings with anyone they knew so they could get the right to volunteer. Granted the PGA ran the event but they still require numerous volunteers, unpaid I might add.
Have a friend that works the Players in Jacksonville every year.
He sits on the same spot every year.
You should see the schwag package that is given to the volunteers, along with free food, all access pass....
pretty cool.
as a very young sport as sports go we already do have qualifying necessary tourneys....USDGC, players cup and the world championships.
I would bet officially it was called a per diem...or an expense voucher/reimbursement...that way they have no official employee expense costs...liability is waived...you get tax free compensation...they save money on overhead in the long run. Win-win for both the volunteer and the entity running the event.
Why? Because there is no big money involved in this sport. Most clubs/tourneys are run by volunteers because they couldn't afford to pay a staff.

I think Mace said it best in a blog...the only market for big money sponsorship in Disc Golf is the participants themselves....and that isn't enough for big time mainstream sponsorships...look at the numbers 41000? in the PDGA...14000+ active? somewhere, I believe, I read that it is estimated that maybe 2 million may either play or have played our sport at one time. Sounds like a big number,...huh? Not really in the big picture.

At this point in the history of our game...we should be able to turn on ESPN and at any random time during the day and potentially see a 15 second spot promoting the sport....yeah it's a sport!!!

What does the PDGA need to do...to get the sport to this level?
Surfing has household names like Billabong, Quiksilver (items that are available in your department stores now).
If you check your history, the big surfing events were originated by an Australian marketer (now Billabong) in the U.S..

Skateboarding has the Dew Tour and the X Games, along with all of its products and apparel. Tony Hawk video games and products. Even Nike 6.0 now.

What is disc golf's big sponsor? Innova, Discraft, Keen, Vibram, Brazilian Springs?

The PDGA must sell the sport.
Not only to sponsors but the public and it kids as well.
It needs to sell the future.

Went to the WFDF in Jacksonville this year.
Overall Worlds.
Dogs, DDC, Ultimate, Disc Golf, Freestyle, Guts, Field Events: During the dog events there were more than 1000 non frisbee flyer spectators. No one walked over to watch disc golf, all eyes were on the leaping dogs.

What do dogs have over disc golf.
Do I need to answer that?
It's tough to market a sport that doesn't offer to much excitement for spectators other then ourselves who play...I think most people would rather watch paint dry then Disc Golf.

Put some big time money on the line...then I bet it's a different story. When little kids across the globe start arguing over...Who gets to be Dave Feldberg...then we might be on the right track
The solution...well who really knows?
The label we (the players) put on disc golf is not all that important. We can call it a sport or a hobby or a game or a form of recreation. Really it is all of these and more. Frisbee is a religion, a compulsion, an avocation and a family. What the outside world calls us matters more to the future of the game than what we call it ourselves.

The fact that we have volunteers who promote and administer the game shows how important the game is to those volunteers and to the participants they serve. Almost everyone involved in the game volunteers on some level which shows what a truly cooperative effort it is.

Many players decry the primitive level of our evolving game. Pros are not paid much. TD's are usually paid nothing. We have little TV and media coverage. OK. None of that diminishes my love of the game or my respect for it. We are in the Golden Era of disc golf.

There is a purity to the game which shines through any of its flaws and any of the flaws of individual players. We can feel the health and vitality and purity which flows through the game. Take this test: Go throw a perfect shot. The balance and rhythm and timing and power of the shot will flow through you and become part of you. Everyone who adopts the game as their own shares these feelings and becomes part of the Frisbee Family. We all have brothers and sisters and cousins we have never met but are still in our family.
Watching dogs involves no moving around and one can see the entire event from one spot. The same is true for most X-Games sports, etc... People will pay big money just to watch cars turn left. They do not need move to see what is developing. Ever notice when they have special golf events on TV (old shell matches, Wendy three tour challenge, etc...) they have very little turn out for spectators. Is that because there is only something going on in one spot at a time and they would have to move to follow the story line?

To me one of things I enjoy is just watching the flight of the disc. How many cameras would one need to capture that? Just some random thoughts. I love this sport and one first things I did when my kids were born was get them a PDGA number :)
The large percentage of people who play the sport may not even be aware that there is a PDGA. Also, I doubt many of them could even name a touring pro unless they happen to look at one of their rocs, leopards, teebirds or avengers. Those of us who pay attention to tournaments and the big pros, as well as come online to sites like this are in the very small minority. Most people in this game are in it to play. They're not interested in watching unless they happen to stumble on someone throwing an utter bomb on the course.
Yeah that could be possible...considering after 3 decades the PDGA is only at 41000. Why is that?

Someone would have to verify this...but at one point wasn't the WFF or World Frisbee Federation over 100000 strong? Not sure about the exact name or the figure on that...what happened to all those people if that was the case.

Did the name Professional keep them away? High cost of membership? Where'd they go?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968