www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Is disc golf really a sport, or is it just a novel recreation at schools and public parks? Disc golf is the only “Sport” I know of where the amateurs and club volunteers donate to clubs to run PDGA Sanctioned Professional Disc Golf Tournaments. All other sports that I know of have Vendors as the primary sponsor, and they PAY the people that help to run the tournament.

Tags: club, donate, profit, sponsor, tornament, volunteer

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where's the biggest PDGA Tournament, with what sponosor?
USDGC of course.
It only makes sense doesn't it?
They use Innova employees and volunteers.
Big payout, big players, big sponsors.....
Lots of attention, remember the Big Webcast?
The PGA is the same way. When the had the PGA Championship over here in S.F. CA. It was hosted at the Olympic CLUB and they had tons of volunteers, because it was a free opportunity to see the greatest golfers in the world for free. Their draw is just bigger, but I agree with you on the sponsor thing. We need more sponsors to help the sport grow.
Yes, disc golf is really a sport, and there are plenty of other sports that have lots of volunteers running events. Those events, however, are mostly amateur events, or events where the great majority of participants do not expect to recoup their entry fee - like running events.

Since the points one gets for participating in PDGA events do not mean a whole lot, and since the PDGA mandates that the purse equals at least the amount of entry fees, there is not much room to pay someone to run the event. If people had the mindset of, "I would PAY to participate in a well-run tournament on a well-groomed course" instead of "I would like to see the purse as large as possible", we might more tournaments that are more enjoyable to participate.
Have you spoken to those volunteers? I volunteered to help with a PGA tournament, and they paid me $200 for it. I admit the $200 check was a surprise, because I was a vounteer!
yes, the webcast was a camera on either the 17th or 18th holes only!
can you imagine the cost of paying to run all these events every year?? Paying staff?? The sport would crash (except for us hardcores) but still. Who would pay for all of this??
How does the 'surfing, skateboard, x-games do it?'
Merchandising, marketing, sponsorship.
Financial backing. It has to come from somewhere.
Right now it's from disc golf 'products.'
Discs and accessories and a few charitable donations.
The deal is that no one wants to volunteer, they all want to participate.
A few do everything.
Still run your small home events.
That's Pretty much it !!!!
Alot of Chiefs and no Indian warriors. It does take alot of personal effort to do Fundraising ( Which I Currently do for our Club www.sandiegoaces.com ) to raise funds for Tournaments and to Build more courses.
You guys lucked out. I worked our companies first aid station. Got paid $00. Mind you it was over 20yrs ago.
Hey, maybe we should piggyback onto the summer X-Games?
It is good to hear from you vendors that benefit from putting on tournaments, and appreciate the club volunteers that help your vending business. I especially like where you pay your "volunteers". I don't think many other PROFESSIONAL sports organizations rely on volunteers and club members to run their events like disc golf. I also don't know of any other sport where anyone can Join the sport's professional organization, and just pay to enter the open division. Most sports have standards, you would have to qualify to play professional in other sanctioned sports.
They had more cameras and planned to do more, but this was a first attempt and a few things went wrong. It was very successful considering, and once they get the bugs fixed you will have more holes, angles and comments. It was set up to be much more...the robots just failed.
I was there and talked to people back home that were following it on the computer. They liked it and even mentioned seeing me on camera! (Busted). Give them some time & support to get it right! USDGC Rocks!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968