www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Why are there so few tournaments with a Rec Division or is this just a South Carolina thing?

Just wondering why more tournaments don't have a Rec division when the majority of disc golfers are rated as rec players (850-899 rating)? I am an 854 rated player and had the best time ever in the last tournament playing in the Rec division. I had been playing in Advanced Masters (I was swept up in the "you need to step up because you're too good to be playing in that divsion" mania) and Intermediate before this last tournament and was pretty much just donating money. It was the first time I have ever been on the lead card and the best finish I have had (3rd).

However, the next 3 tournaments coming up in SC have no Rec division. Why should I pay $25.00-$35.00 to play in a tournament just to get my butt kicked by most everyone in my division? Does it have to do with it being a B-Tier or C-Tier tournament? If not, the only reason I can think of is money. It does typically cost less for a rec player than an intermediate player which means less overall tourney money which means less payout for the pros. Am I completely off base here?

Scott

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the input everyone. I will try to contact the TD's and ask about opening up a rec division. I agree that throwing with better players will make you better and I do that in the weekly leagues and casual play. But if I enter a tournament in the Intermediate division, how often will an 854 rated player (me) beat say a 920 rated player? More often than not the 920 rated player is going to annihilate the 854 rated player. Doesn't make me a better player, just a frustrated one. I'm not saying I want to play in a division I can win all the time. But it is nice to at least be a part of the mix going into the last round instead of fighting to not be DFL.
you are very right playing disc golf does take a little time for someone to inprove their skills playing Rec. is the right thing to do in the begining you have to learn and maybe even win a tournament or place in one and build on it to be a member of MOVE UP BAGGER.
You're not alone Scott, there are very few tourneys up here that have a rec division or a women's for that matter. We just don't have the people for it. I hear that you have to have at least three people to make a said division. Up here in AK the Rec and women's get lumped into the Intermediate division.
the tournaments down here, san antonio, mostly have more rec than anything else. last event i was in had 9 advanced 12 intermediate and 22 rec players.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968