www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I bet there has been many a discussion about this one! I just got done reading a post on "what is your favorite disc" and low and behold someone posted a pic of a C.E. disc.... Who would'a figured it?

IMO Discraft's Z plastic holds up against all odds. Innova used to make the C.E edition that also holds up. The new Champion plastic holds up in a different sort of break in way, but ultimately breaks down into a different flying disc with cuts and abrasions etc...So why stop making it? The almighty dollar? The plastic comes from a rare mineral?

I throw both Discraft and Innova and can see the difference over years of use. IMO Discraft holds up longer, as did the old C.E.

So, why did Innova stop making the C.E edition.....Any thoughts? 

Views: 1318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From a friend who has been playing since they use to make discs out of rocks!lol! CE plastic was great as we all know, but they were getting far to many X-outs/rejects. So they changed the plastic. As for todays plastic. I throw both "Z" and Champ. I can see no difference between the two. To me they are both top notch. Now if you want to try some real kick a$$ plastic. Take a look at Latitude 64. IMO their Opto plastic beats both the "Z" and Champ plastic hands down and their Gold Line plastic is pretty darn sweet as well.
Gold is pretty sweet I nailed a tree at top speed which for me is quite fast and couldn't even find the mark to see if it got damage!
Thanks, I will check it out. I have never thrown a Lat. 64 disc.
Dave said they didn't deliberately stop making CE discs. The plastic supplier apparently couldn't supply that formula anymore so they had to switch to other plastic mixes. They tried to get the equivalent of CE plastic from other suppliers but they never could duplicate the formula.
Thanks Chuck.

"The plastic comes from a rare mineral?"

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner....

That is too bad. Well at least we a collectible item instead....
From a reliable source I heard that Innova had issues with the CE plastics getting stuck in the molds and hindering production.
I think Chuck and Matt J are both correct. I begged GDISC to sell me the first of the first runs. They were deep red Valkyries with gold/mustard colored stamp. They were light, all 165g, and they had mold problems. They had tiny dimples on the beveled edge. Innova probably would not have released these, but they were pushing to get the anticipated new release out. The plastic is really unique. The new Champ plastic is not as rigid or durable. During the first several runs, CE discs had intersting variations, probably due to plastic reactions during the cooling period.

I just did this yesterday with my new Pro Wraith and didn't even find a nic on it. It is wierd tho, it feels and looks kinda like Star plastic.
They still make occasional discs in odd ball plastic. Here is a pic of an Archangel that's being sold now.

[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/okiebullgod/flexchamp.jpg[/IMG]
Still one of my favorites !!

Mmmmmmmmm gummy plastic. One of my favorites. Reminds me of Latitude 64's Opto plastic! or vise versa..
I've attached 2 articles for everyone's reading pleasure. Back in the fall of 2002 Innova posted an article on their website about all the changes that were going on, getting rid of CE new stuff, etc...I printed those out back then and scanned them in my computer today. Here they are. Hope you enjoy!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968