www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been playing disc golf for 27 years now and I like to bring my own style to the game. When I started playing, it was on a course that we made up in Ames, Iowa at a park called the Arboretum. We played with the old Whamo 165 gram discs and our course was all objects. We had one par 2 and a par 5 with an alternate route. Fence posts, manhole covers and trees were the rest of our targets. I am definitely old school. My question is this, "Why do people constantly try to tell me that I must putt with a putter?" When I took up disc golf on a real course I had to determine which discs I liked and which did not work for me. I have been playing disc golf on courses for the past 14 years and I now know which discs appeal to me. My bag has only drivers. A midrange is just a driver that is thrown at a slower speed and a putter is a driver that goes in the hole. I know that by saying this I will probably get slammed by angry responses, because I find a lot of people who don't have open minds and don't want to accept anything different. Yet I see people do all kinds of different shots every day and I don't question their methods. The key to my method is speed and distance. Know your discs and know how to throw them. Putting is really in the mind more than in the hand. If you want to make that putt you will make it. Just do it! And stop hassling other people who do things differently than you.

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you were my partner,i would feel like you didn't really care if it went in. unless it was going in consistently.
I know a guy that putts with a driver UPSIDE DOWN.
He grips it with a pistol grip then holds it upside down under his chin before flinging it into the basket.
Swear to god man it's the strangest thing I've ever seen but it works for him so it's cool.
Lol. So a granade putt?
There is a good reason that putter is used for putting. It flys straight, easy to aim. The speed is slow when you miss it cant go that far. When it lands it lands flat a driver can catch an edge and roll easier than a putter. It also can fly well with little power it is built to trap air under the disc. It does not matter what you use in the long run as long as it goes in. The putter will help your score if you give it a chance.
I'm lucky enough to be taking a Disc Golf Class that is instructed by a couple of local pros at my college and it is interesting to see the difference of styles between the two of them. Merle Witvoet is one instructor and he is a classic kind of thrower. Almost all backhand shots and a simple putting stance with a classic putter. The other instructor has been playing since forever, his PDGA number is 9. His approach is a total make the disc get there anyway it takes to make it get there. Outside of ten meters he throws a crazy overhead shot that ends with a gentle slide right under the basket. If he is inside ten feet, he'll "dart putt" with a putter, but if he is outside fifteen he'll "dart" a driver if there is no wind. I feel that he has the right idea. Get the disc there, don't listen to other people. If you can hit 9 out of 10 putts from 25' by throwing a driver from a football "hike" position, than do it. You're still getting it in.
Chad's pink H.K. blowflies are the bomb!
I think we need a drivers only club!!! For the longest time my teebird was my putter, also I remember being really good from about 30-40 ft with my Cyclone -- I really had the flight of that disc nailed down, I still can't throw a mid range disc all that well and really rely on a nice hyzer route to the basket from about 100-200 feet. I have since switched to the wizard as my putter and love it, I have become a more consistent putter and I'll use it on my approach as well. I can not knock anyone who uses a driver to putt, or approach because when practiced you can become really good with these -- the only issue is the really bad rollaways that I use to get.
To any and all haters of putting with drivers get over it. The first shot is basically a long putt with a driver. And it doesn't matter what you use a disc for as long as the disc is pdga approved. I drive with putters all the time, in fact my favorite disc is the discraft ringer, and no one complains about that. In certain conditions I throw a driver at the basket from somewhere off the tee. Once you get enough experience you learn the right disc for the situation is the one you know and can manipulate to make the shot(even if it's just a thirty foot wide open putt).
i hear you i putt with a roc and they think its silly. but im still whipping them soundly
so i think they should relax untill they shoot good enough golf 980 or better till then
giving advice is alittle silly 27 plus years you know what works for you
30+phil
Well first of all alot of times I will putt a mid-range with a small circumfrance, at short distance. The Skeeter would be a fine reference. Putters do have an advantage though, and you should really have an open mind yourself and try one out. Drivers tend to get damaged by repeated strikes on the chains. Thus in turn the driver disc will fly different than origanal. Putters come in many styles than when you first started. Some putters you can bend and fold up in your back pocket, and others are hard and grippy similar to a driver. The key is the putters will stay straight for longer periods of flight. This is due to the blunt edge creating friction enough to slow the spin. This effect creates a more stable flight. Drivers will always tend to fade left more than a mid or putter, depending on the thrower's form. Get serious and get a putter. Do you see Tiger Woods putt with a 3 wood.
i guess it depends on what style you have but you will never see a pro throwing a driver for every putt so its up to you if you want to do it the right way or if you have to be a little baby about it and do it your own way cause you want to be different from everyone... and yeah i would love to see you in a putting challenge when your using a driver for a putter... anyday
At the first One-Disc Challenge (a3disc and Discraft) the one disc was a hugely overstable driver, but everyone had to do every throw, including putts, with it. I had the best score in the Am division (more than 100 people) and loved putting with it.

I use regular putters now, but have always wondered, since, how consistent I could be over time with an overstable driver disc as my putter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968