www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been playing disc golf for 27 years now and I like to bring my own style to the game. When I started playing, it was on a course that we made up in Ames, Iowa at a park called the Arboretum. We played with the old Whamo 165 gram discs and our course was all objects. We had one par 2 and a par 5 with an alternate route. Fence posts, manhole covers and trees were the rest of our targets. I am definitely old school. My question is this, "Why do people constantly try to tell me that I must putt with a putter?" When I took up disc golf on a real course I had to determine which discs I liked and which did not work for me. I have been playing disc golf on courses for the past 14 years and I now know which discs appeal to me. My bag has only drivers. A midrange is just a driver that is thrown at a slower speed and a putter is a driver that goes in the hole. I know that by saying this I will probably get slammed by angry responses, because I find a lot of people who don't have open minds and don't want to accept anything different. Yet I see people do all kinds of different shots every day and I don't question their methods. The key to my method is speed and distance. Know your discs and know how to throw them. Putting is really in the mind more than in the hand. If you want to make that putt you will make it. Just do it! And stop hassling other people who do things differently than you.

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i putt with my driver all the time its my fav disc to putt with i just hate bumping my head on the basket when i pick my driver up an drop it in
who cares what people say! I have used an XL and moved up to a FLX Xl as my puttter and have been using that my whole 4 year disc golf existence!! I win and I have fun so I dont care. It's all about waht works for you!!
just to be different, why do you get offended when they may think it would help your game?
YOU DO WHAT!!!!!!!! My god man. What are you thinking!..jeeeez...Next, you'll tell us you use a putter to drive with! You've just turned my disc golf world upside down............thanks a lot ;)~
Take a moment and remember its a game and games should be fun. who needs confrontation?! keep banging them chains and they'll shut up..
I asked some of the same questions of a few people I have seen putting with a driver over the last few years. Their responses usually were about the "feel" of the disc and how it worked for them. The proof is in the pudding! One of these guys was a younger guy who just won his division of a tournament I was at. Can't argue with success!
Do what feels right!
Putters are overated. I just use midranges.
unless I am asked for advice, I don't like to give it. You never know when your 2cents will be offensive. If you were to ask me for some advice on how to get better, putting with a putter instead of a driver is one of the first things I would suggest. To each his own, of course, but.....You don't see world champs using drivers for putting. In my opinion, when it comes to certain things in disc golf, there is a right way and a wrong way( i am not necessarily talking about disc selection, but more about form and technique) . I think peoples preferences and attempts to be different holds them back from improving because they have adapted to what they have been doing and don't like change. It all depends on what your goals are in disc golf. On the same note, Maybe if you hadn't started putting with a driver, you wouldn't be as good a player as you are now.....
How did you know. But Kurt knows not to try and change me.
I don't get offended. It's just that they don't know what is best for me. I am in my own head. I am the one throwing the disc. I think that they are just close minded.
not to be to rude, but what you just described is taking offense, albeit not out-loud to those persons.
perhaps they don't know what is best for you but are trying to help what they may see as a flaw in your game?
again just being devils advocate here, if you are not offended you prolly would not even bring it up

and again if someone asks you why you don't use a putter or suggests one, just tell em no thanks man im good, just have fun...FLOW with it man flow with it, humor them from time to time, rock their socks when you don't
I couldn't tell from your picture, but I'm pretty sure I've played a round with you and kurt. I was just gonna say that kurt was probably trying to sell you a putter, but if you're maddog, then I did play with you and kurt in the fall. However, I think we should take mark ellis's advice and play a safari round at cottonwood

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968