www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Question is simple and straight forward.
Why do you play this great sport? Exercise? Just for fun?
What got you started in playing?

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it's just you.
I play because I enjoy hanging with friends and walking in the woods. I can't help it. I am addicted to this damn thing. I set up putting and driving ranges in my basement to practice form in the snowy months.
the first time you see a disc do exactly what it was designed to do and exactly what you wanted it to do, you are hooked. because it's one of the most beautiful things you will ever see.
I can't disagree with anything said thus far, so I say all the above plus I play because it takes me back to time and age of a young teen when I spent 90% of my time in the woods exploring high and low and finding new oddities in the wild. Every time I shank one into the woods half the enjoy is getting from the fairway to your disc which often requires one to go over, under and through stuff the "non discing public"
wouldn't dream of.
I enjoye it for the atmosphere and the huge benifits for such a low price. Now that I am playing PDGA events I am playing to get better, I want to consitantly improve and place well. I want to challenge myself and still have fun. Playing new courses, making new friends at tournaments across the west, and the competition is what gets me excited.
exactly what paul said. outside drinking beer with the sun on my face, awesome. throw in some friendly competition and I'm in heaven. plus a little of what everybody else said.
First and foremost because it is fun. Secondly because it brings people together. I have only been playing a year now and have acquired a lot of new friends because of the sport...great community feeling. Reminds me of my scene of music...great community. Then of course aside from that....competing is fun too. I am about to turn 30 and things are starting to hurt more and it's a little tougher to play sports I used to play a lot when I was younger. I registered this year(while watching the usgdc) and plan on playing in some tourney's...so happy I stumbled onto this sport...which leads to the last question of how you got started. I was camping at The Bear Creek Music Festival and we were set up at hole 15 (called "darkstar") I found a disc and my buddy happened to already play a little. and well that's how it started. I threw the hole we were on all weekend with that one disc. After the show was over I went a bought 4 disc...have been playing 3 to 7 rounds a week now. Own 70+ discs now...have a basket now...2 tourney bags...I mean the list goes on. This sport is just great...I wouldn't trade it for anything else. The best part is knowing I will play this as long as I am around.
I play for a variety of reasons:

...I love the feeling of throwing a disc, the mechanics are satisfying and the differing flight patterns are as well when you execute them properly...especially the hyzer flip and a good roller.

...I love the comerarderie of disc golfers. Sometimes I get just as excited watching a friend hit the perfect line and a ace or near ace. It lends itself well to conversation as well.

...I love the mental challenge of attacking the course. Checking the wind, evaluating the lines, weighing the risks...it all keeps me coming back.

...I like having a bag of discs and a bag of tricks to use.

...I love practice as well, there is something calming about honing your skills all alone. It's an amazing thing when you start to really understand how to throw a particular shot. I usually come back in excited and bore my wife with the details of how it's done.

...going off the last one: I love to teach those who are eager to learn the sport. (especially kids, but teachable adults are good too, just more rare) I also like to explain the sport to those who are clueless, but curious. You get to watch a whole new world opening up before their eyes. "Frisbees go different directions? You can throw a disc 400 ft?? That's like, over a football field!" :-)

...I love that I've found my niche in Ultimate and Disc Golf. I've been an athelete all my life (basketball, tennis, cc, track, baseball), I love to play nearly any sport/game, but I really really LOVE FLYING discs. The grace of frisbee games is unparalled by anything.
I like getting out of the house and away from problems. Out on the course it is just me and the discs.
Pretty much agree with every reason given about why I play.
No particular order:

* Flight of the disc
* Being outdoors
* Camaraderie
* Community
* Competition
* Discs are beautiful
* Zen-like escape
* Shared interest with family
* Working at getting better
* Inexpensive
* Takes minimal time from busy life
* Psychologically addictive
Because I can.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968