www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

When I first began playing Disc Golf (20 yrs ago) The shop at Morley Field in California had Innova discs like the "Roc" and "Stingray", and that's what I used.  But I stopped playing and only played Recreationally off and on for the last five years.  Then I consistantly picked it back up around a year ago, and liked Discraft. 

To make a long story short, I discovered the "Nuke".  Majority of my discs are from Discraft.  But something is lacking.  A foater or to be specific, a driver that floats.  I have used Innova, and one Lighting as floaters. 

Why doesn't Discraft make any floaters, or drivers that float?

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought it was because Discraft flies so awesome you never throw them in the water.... :-)

I heard they haven't had time to copy a floater from Innova yet.

The new Wahoo from Innova is a driver that floats.

While playing at the Orlando Open, hole 16 on T-2 at Turkey Lake, I lost my Dragon.  The shop only had a Lighting 2 driver which floats.  I'll be playing at the Barnett Championship, I practiced hole 18 on the North Course and threw the Lighting into the pond.  People told me about the Wahoo, I looked at it and decided that it would be the disc that saves me. 

But the question still unanswered,

Why Doesn't Discraft make any floaters?

It is weird for me to have Discraft as a main stable, and an Innova for back-up water throws.

I like the responses so far.  But realistically, why?

I have never thrown anything that floats that I actually like as a regular disc.  I feel like discs that float are not of the same quality as other discs.  My answer to why Discraft has not put out anything that floats is possibly because they have not found a way to match the same quality plastic  as their other discs.
It's Michigan, our water is solid ice for 1/3 of the year anyways..plus you're not supposed to land in water.
I don't like having one disc that I would only use for water holes.  I use my regular discs and if I so happen to land in the water I will go in after it in the summer or pull out my Golden Retriever disc diver in winter.  I would rather have a disc that I am confident will make the shot then use a disc that I am not familiar with.
its because discraft knows most of their discs are just water discs anyway for when people dont wana lose their awesome innova discs lol
because discs that are made for the water tend to go into the water.

Discraft's 150 class stuff floats, I'm pretty sure.

Discraft is producing discs at pretty much their maximum current capacity.  In the middle of the summer they have to turn away some orders and are often out of one fifth of the products they list in their stock and custom order sheets.  So they have no reason to add a floating driver to everything else that they are already are incapable of keeping in stock. 

I've always wondered, given Michigan's horrible economy, the large number of injection plastic molding guys out there looking for work, and the empty production space within a few miles of their location, why they don't expand.   

Shoot, I am an enjimaneer within 10 miles of wixom. I would love to work at discraft rather than traveling all over the country trying to scare up work. Plus, in my mind at least, I figure they take every Friday as a field test day and wander over to Kensington. The only downside I can see is that I suppose it would take a little time to get used to throwing with a name tag on.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968