www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Quest turbo putt denied by the pdga

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats what I heard as well, the indentations on the outer edge of the rim no longer made it a "true disc."
Also the line has to be drawn somewhere with disc design, things have changed since the original tech. standards were created. Every major sport changes their standards, equipment over time. Not saying that particular disc or style should or should not be legal but there does need to be a line somewhere to keep the sport sane and the courses non-obsolete.

PDGA Approved 6/5/07.
it was approved 6/5/07 and then denied...wtf
Same thing with the square grooves on wedges in ball golf being approved and later denied. Same thing with the hi-tech basketballs being approved and then reverting back to the leather versions in the NBA.
Good point - someone has to say when enough is enough. I'd love to use one of these, but sometimes you gotta step back a pace just to be fair. The PDGA decided this was a time to step back.
No, it's looks like it was denied because you could get too much grip on the disc, like that's even possible.
This seems to be the most plausible reason for denial. Judging by the look of it, it would have a lot less tendency to bounce off the chain.

I want one.
The Quest Turbo Putter is one of the top selling discs in our Mega Super Monster Disc Golf Store.
I think Chuck Kennedy chimed in with the fact that less than 1% of Disc Golfers are PDGA Tournament players who actually care about a disc being approved for tournament play or not...
When you are out to just have fun and play, the Quest Turbo putter is a show stopper when you pull it out and gets even better if you can make a putt with it. Known as shock value.
I wish they had left it legal...I would love to see somebody beat me with it!!!
More power to you and good luck!
I can Turbo putt with an Aviar accurately to about 45 feet.

The fundamental reason the Turbo disc was later disapproved was clarification of what the meaning of "saucer-like configuration" meant which is wording that had been there in the standards from the beginning. Homburg, the long time tech measurement guy, just went ahead and routinely approved the Turbo because technically it was saucer-like even though it had scallops. However, a few days later, those who had been around when the tech specs were written and a few PDGA Board members said, "Wait a minute. We think the intent was that golf discs have a circular, not scalloped rim." There was no evaluation of the Turbo's performance characteristics, just the rim shape issue. When the dust settled after discussions, Quest graciously agreed that the PDGA approval would be rescinded at the end of 2008 which was about 18 months after the original approval so they could still sell their inventory to PDGA players. The revised tech standards now say, "circular, saucer-like configuration" along with some additional details not related to the rim.
it says most requested disc by top pro players
Those warning stickers on those and others are nothing more than a marketing ploy.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968