www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

'Tis the season.  The leaves are beginning to fall from the trees and the wind is really starting to gust again.  I was wondering how everyone attacks a windy day in regards to selecting a putter from their bag.  I typically use a grid Aviar.  I love my putter, but on a windy day it tends to act a little squirrelly.  I have tried a 12x KC Aviar because I heard they were a little more stable.  But it flies like a brick for me and I end up under the basket and not in it.   So I have just been falling back on a Roc when it is gusty for that added stability.  But I kinda feel like I should be putting with a putter (though, that could all just be in my head)

So, do you use a different putter on a windy day?  What do you choose? 

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I change up the putt, but not the disc. Depending on the strenghth and direction of the wind, there is a lot of technique involved. Usually, the putt will drop in tail wind (like a brick). in that case, I use the same old putter. The head wind is what makes me think too much. Playing well in the wind seams to seperate the Pros from the AMs. Its all about practicing on windy days and doing what works for you.
CHAMP RHINO
Star Teebird will cut right through the wind. Honestly, on a very windy day a driver will do much better in cutting through the wind. I remember that I once tried this on a windy day. Took a Birdie and threw it at the basket. It stalled and faded. Took a Quest AT Classic Inferno and threw it. Cut right through the wind and went dead center.

Just a thought. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box.
I like to use an overstable midrange when putting into the wind--I prefer either my ESP Drone or Star Gator
challenger, period. I play in windy conditions at my home course and a challeger is money!
I use to, but I've decided. Putting on windy days is more of a mind game, than a putter thing. Mind you, from 40 ft or so out. I might use my JK Pro Aviar into a 30mph headwind, but I just stick with my APX.
I know there is no putting limit (in ft.). I just figure when I stop using a putting stance. It becomes an upshot and for me, 40 ft is about it.
On a severely windy day I will use a Firebird to putt into a headwind. But I usually just stick with my JK Aviar X and just aim at the bottom cage when there is a headwind and give it a Laser Show and if there is a tailwind I am at the top link and give it some pop.
I drive with JK Aviars and use a Magic to putt with...if i'm stuck with a serious headwind, then I'll use my Aviar.
Team Super G uses a Rhyno on windy days.
The Rhyno is much more overstable than my Aviar.
The Rhyno is also much more sticky than my Aviar.
It does not slide or get on a roller edge.
With these characteristics you are allowed to still run the chains in heavy winds.
I very rarely use the Rhyno in my bag, but would feel lost without it if the windy conditions show up.
I really know what my Aviar will do in high winds because I practice putt with them in high wind situations.
Some of my best scores come on blustery days because I focus more on how the wind is going to effect my discs & putts.
I putt with a drone on windy days. It's probably a mental thing(as others have noted) but I have a hard time with my regular putter on windy days.
I love using the rhyno. It cuts through wind better than my other discs but the cro is also a good disc for some reason in the wind. Just my thoughts though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968